The Student Room Group

Average GCSE grades

What would people say the average person gets on their GCSEs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

There's no average. Probably a mix of a few A*s, As and Bs.
Original post by gibsond9

Posted from TSR Mobile

The average is C. People on TSR will say the average is A* or something but it really isn't, most people on TSR have are very academic and go to academic schools so they haven't experienced the "realness" when it comes to average grades at school.
The 50th percentile is normally somewhere in the C-B range, so I'd say the average candidate would have a mix of Cs and Bs. The average is in no way A/A*, because those grades are aimed at, pretty much, the top 20% of candidates. As someone said above, there's a significant difference on TSR, since many people on here are within that top 20%.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
An average grade is a C grade. B, A and A* is above average.
An average student will have many C's and a few B's in their results.
2015's GCSE National Results:

Total Candidates: 5,277,604
A*-C : 69.0%

A* - 6.6%
A - 14.6%
B - 22.1%
C - 25.7%
D - 16.4%
E- 7.6%
F - 3.7%
G - 1.9%
U - 1.4%

Source:http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/gcse.htm

Average grade is C, with a large amount of B-D's being 64.2% of all people.

However there are more A- A*'s (21.2%) than E-U's (14.6%)
(edited 7 years ago)
Average GCSE grades are Cs & B's.
As & A*s are above average
C's and B's imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sulaimanali
There's no average. Probably a mix of a few A*s, As and Bs.

Maybe on TSR, but some people would be lucky to get a single A (or even a single B!), that are part of the 50th percentile.
@_gcx - Agreed. I thought B and C and maybe a few A are average.
Reply 10
If you are asking here A/A*.If not here then maybe C and few B.
For TSR?
B/A

Nationally?
C
For TSR?
B/A

Nationally?
C
Have a look at this AQA exam results statistics for June 2015. Hopefully it will give you an idea of what "average" grades are.
Original post by romansholiday
The average is C. People on TSR will say the average is A* or something but it really isn't, most people on TSR have are very academic and go to academic schools so they haven't experienced the "realness" when it comes to average grades at school.

Thank you!! I'm soo scared about my results cause my mum says if I get more than 3 C's shes gonna take my phone and laptop of me:frown:
Reply 15
Average is a C isn't it?

Although on TSR it's more like an A/A* :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gibsond9

Posted from TSR Mobile

Back when I was in year 11, if you got 5 C's it was considered good. This was for my school as only 40% would pass their gcses.
Reply 17
Original post by Calzs34
2015's GCSE National Results:

Total Candidates: 5,277,604
A*-C : 69.0%

A* - 6.6%
A - 14.6%
B - 22.1%
C - 25.7%
D - 16.4%
E- 7.6%
F - 3.7%
G - 1.9%
U - 1.4%

Source:http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/gcse.htm

Average grade is C, with a large amount of B-D's being 64.2% of all people.

However there are more A- A*'s (21.2%) than E-U's (14.6%)

I'm pretty surprised by these stats. My school would make you resit tests if you got below a B
Original post by Theworriedbanana
Thank you!! I'm soo scared about my results cause my mum says if I get more than 3 C's shes gonna take my phone and laptop of me:frown:

Oh don't worry! You may have done much better than you think! You're in the same boat as every other 16 year old so you're not the only one. I am so worried you don't even know...:frown:
Original post by romansholiday

Couldn't have said it better

Quick Reply

Latest