The Student Room Group

PGCE Applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Does anybody know if referees write one reference for the whole application or whether they have to write one per course? :-)
Original post by Anna.Karenina
Does anybody know if referees write one reference for the whole application or whether they have to write one per course? :-)

I think it's one for the whole application, that was my understanding from my application last year anyways :smile:

I had to get two references for my entire application last year :smile:
I'm an admin for the 16/17 FB trainee group.

They want to start a 17/19 Trainee group - so if you're thinking of applying October 18th here you go;

www.facebook.com/groups/TeacherTraining1718/
Reply 44
Hi guys,

I'm looking at applying in October, unsure whether to do Primary or secondary yet, but probably History in secondary. I'm unsure what constitutes as enough experience though. I'm currently working at a local college as a learning support assistant, meaning I work with students mainly from 16-19 who have learning difficulties and disabilities. I however do work occasionally with 14-16 year olds in the same field. I have had a few days experience in a primary school, however getting experience for me is difficult due to the fact I work at the college during term time. I also work at a youth club during term times for children from year 6 onwards.

Would I need to go into a secondary school just in case? Or would my work in the college setting with 14-19's be enough? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

- Scott
Original post by SJD1992
Hi guys,

I'm looking at applying in October, unsure whether to do Primary or secondary yet, but probably History in secondary. I'm unsure what constitutes as enough experience though. I'm currently working at a local college as a learning support assistant, meaning I work with students mainly from 16-19 who have learning difficulties and disabilities. I however do work occasionally with 14-16 year olds in the same field. I have had a few days experience in a primary school, however getting experience for me is difficult due to the fact I work at the college during term time. I also work at a youth club during term times for children from year 6 onwards.

Would I need to go into a secondary school just in case? Or would my work in the college setting with 14-19's be enough? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

- Scott

No, this would be good enough and it's longer than the advised 10 days so you'll be at an advantage.

As history is taught across 3 key stages, you need to make sure you have experience in each so from Y7 - Y13 (11-18yo) If you have specific experience in history that's even better, or even general work experience (museum work, historical role play events etc) helps.
Hey,

I'm not sure about who I should ask for references for my application. Is one supposed to come from a school where i've done observation? :confused:
Original post by goldie55
Hey,

I'm not sure about who I should ask for references for my application. Is one supposed to come from a school where i've done observation? :confused:

This well help.
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/teacher-training/apply-and-track/references-teacher-training#

Thanks:smile: I just don't feel like i've been in any school for long enough for them to be able to write me a reference:s-smilie:
Is anybody counting work experience they've done in a sixth form towards their classroom experience? :smile:
Is anybody counting work experience they've done in a sixth form towards their classroom experience? :smile:

No I didn't count any I did at sixth form. I already had plenty during my time at uni (10 days shadowing at my old secondary, worked as a language ambassador, worked as a language assistant, summer camp teaching children in China English). I'm also spending this year as a TA
Original post by super_kawaii
No I didn't count any I did at sixth form. I already had plenty during my time at uni (10 days shadowing at my old secondary, worked as a language ambassador, worked as a language assistant, summer camp teaching children in China English). I'm also spending this year as a TA

Really nervous at my lack of classroom experience! I've only got 7 days at a local secondary school and 5 days at my sixth form :/
Original post by goldie55
Thanks:smile: I just don't feel like i've been in any school for long enough for them to be able to write me a reference:s-smilie:

I'm pretty sure, you can ask for a reference after 10 days of being there (for any reference)
As that's the minimum UCAS require, it would be silly if they didn't offer references.
Just booked my Skills Tests! :s-smilie:
I'd say it counts, it shows you have observed/helped with a range of secondary school ages.

Reply 55
Original post by Firefly13
I'm exactly the same! I'm glad I'm not the only one. Have you had a look at the School Experience Program? I sent them an email today and they told me all I need to do is register with the GetIntoTeaching website and then in September let them know I'm interested (email or call them) and they'll give me log in details for the school experience program website. I'm just hoping I have enough time to do the experience while finishing my degree :s-smilie:

Hello everybody!
I am also planning to do a Maths PGCE in London next year and, since I moved in here 3 months ago, deciding on teaching is a really new idea also for me!

My next steps will be:
- send all the papers to NARIC (does anyone know what exactly are we supposed to send and what do they usually recognise?)
- try to get school experience (I have emailed some schools but they didn't answer, maybe cause it's the first week back... I also called the School Experience Program and they told me as well to call them back at the end of September [I wonder how can we manage to get some class experience if we have to send the application mid-October])
- choose the providers (I'm thinking about the King's college, cause I've read their prospectus and it seems interesting, but I expect the success rate will not be so high, especially for an EU-candidate who has no experience of the UK system like me)
- revise my English (sorry for any mistake!!)
- revise my GCSE and A levels maths
- write the personal statement (no idea of how to that: is it always the same kind of letter or does it depend on the school you choose?)

so.. I have things to do for the entire next year and the application must be sent in a month :wink: happy to have find this group guys!
Whose started their Personal Statement? :smile:
Hi everyone,

Have made a list of all those who specified where they will be applying so we can update and liaise with each other for specific courses :smile: Will keep this updated as we go!

University of Sheffield:

SuperKawaii - Mandarin and French (Secondary)

University College London:

Anna.Karenina - English (Secondary)

University of Manchester:

Bellarr - French and Spanish (Secondary)

King's College London:

Firefly13 - Biology (Secondary)

Kent and Medway Teacher Training

University of Canterbury

University of Oxford

girlygiggle - Geography (Secondary)

University of Sussex

University of Cambridge

(edited 7 years ago)
Whose started their Personal Statement? :smile:

I have a feeling I won't start on this to the very last minute. I am a big procrastinator at things like that which probably doesn't bode well for a future teaching career!

Like that chart too, good work :smile:.
Original post by Olives&chocolate
I have a feeling I won't start on this to the very last minute. I am a big procrastinator at things like that which probably doesn't bode well for a future teaching career!

Like that chart too, good work :smile:.

I'm getting dark memories from having to write my UG personal statement! I hate them!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending