The Student Room Group

GP laughed at me

Scroll to see replies

See you do it now. Don't hang about and get cold feet. And don't take no for an answer. I hope you get some help and feel better once you have taken the first steps.
Hmm :frown: did you say something maybe to make light of your situation? Maybe he was laughing with you?
But yeah some doctors are just careless but then again they're not miracle workers and GP's are definitely not experts in mental health and a lot of them are half driven insane themselves by the stress but still they get paid to do the job. See a different GP.
Original post by Seamus123
See you do it now. Don't hang about and get cold feet. And don't take no for an answer. I hope you get some help and feel better once you have taken the first steps.

Original post by Little Popcorns
Hmm :frown: did you say something maybe to make light of your situation? Maybe he was laughing with you?
But yeah some doctors are just careless but then again they're not miracle workers and GP's are definitely not experts in mental health and a lot of them are half driven insane themselves by the stress but still they get paid to do the job. See a different GP.

okay. thank you
Original post by Seamus123

okay, I will try. thank you
Original post by Anonymous
okay. thank you

alternatively you don't have something like aspergers syndrome do you where you might have said something with a double meaning that they got but may have passed you by?
(edited 7 years ago)
alternatively you don't have something like aspergers syndrome do you where you might have said something with a double meaning that they got but may have passed you by?

No, I don't have anything like that
No, I don't have anything like that

do you remember specifically what it was he laughed at?
do you remember specifically what it was he laughed at?

I don't remember the exact thing but I was explaining how I heard voices
I don't remember the exact thing but I was explaining how I heard voices
did you say what they said? What did you say that they said? The voices I mean.
(edited 7 years ago)
did you say what they said? What did you say that they said? The voices I mean?

I didn't understand what they said. It was like a lot of people shouting at me and I couldn't get the words.
I didn't understand what they said. It was like a lot of people shouting at me and I couldn't get the words.

Okay well don't worry about the doctor laughing and as I said above just see another doctor :smile:
Okay well don't worry about the doctor laughing and as I said above just see another doctor :smile:

Okay. thank you
I wasnt there but would have challenged or complained.

If it happened as you said then they sound unsuitable anyway.

I would take a step back and have a chat with MIND who will be sym[athetic and can run through your options with you.
http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/helplines/
I'd then find another GP and go for a fresh start.
Original post by 999tigger
I wasnt there but would have challenged or complained.

If it happened as you said then they sound unsuitable anyway.

I would take a step back and have a chat with MIND who will be sym[athetic and can run through your options with you.
http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/helplines/
I'd then find another GP and go for a fresh start.

Thank you very much mate
Thank you very much mate

Btw all GP's arent like that. Im suprised .

If you think there is something wrong, then you simply need someone to listen, confirm and advise. The GP may have done you a favour because they would likely have been poor anyway.

There are some more contact options here.

http://www.youngminds.org.uk/for_children_young_people/better_mental_health/organisations_that_could_help

http://www.youngminds.org.uk/for_children_young_people/unhappy_with_treatment
After a long long time of living miserably I finally decided to go and speak to my gp. SO i told him how I've been feeling scared and hopeless and everything else that's wrong. I also told him that I am hearing stuff (sometimes I hear a group of people shouting at me and it seems very real when it's happening but when I think later on about this I realise I hear just stuff). But he didn't do anything to make me feel better instead he laughed at me. I am very upset

Annoyingly, laughing at people is something GPs do best.
Original post by Natalierm2707
Well you should have turned around and stated when he said "it will get better" that you feel you need some extra help with it because you have been feeling like this for a long while now and no matter how much you have tried it just isnt getting better.

Treatment can be asked for you know, just speak up.

I think that was quite harsh, I know the first time I ever went to the doctors I was trembling inside, I think after suffering for so long and then finally opening up is really difficult. I think the fact that OP's GP laughed is appalling behaviour, I don't blame OP for not speaking up. I know my doctor didn't offer much guidance for me either, I didn't really know my options either apart from meds which I didn't want and meds is all the doctor suggested. Also she said, "You have a happy family and no home troubles, be happy" which was extremely unhelpful.

When I got home I called a friend and she told me that I should have been better prepared and that she should have helped me with that (she has been in the same position) and I find that it is upsetting that the doctor can't lead the conversation and offer different options, it is terrifying going in there so I understand OP completely.
Change your GP OP and maybe take a friend/ family member with you next time to calm your nerves?

You can PM me if you would like, if you ever feel like talking about anything. :smile:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Change your GP OP and maybe take a friend/ family member with you next time to calm your nerves?

You can PM me if you would like, if you ever feel like talking about anything. :smile:

Okay thank you very much. Well I am a very private person and I don't talk about stuff to anyone so I don't think I will ever take anyone with me. People scare me plus I don't think anyone cares anyway.
Okay thank you very much. Well I am a very private person and I don't talk about stuff to anyone so I don't think I will ever take anyone with me. People scare me plus I don't think anyone cares anyway.

Tbh sometimes taking people with you doesn't really help, I took my mum with me (even though she waited in the waiting room) but I still struggled.

Maybe you could write everything you feel on a piece of paper and hand it too the doctor, that will probably be much more helpful that struggling with words, y'know?

I'm sure they do care, sometimes we aren't very good at showing people that we're struggling and just assume that they don't care if about you and it;s mostly because we don't care about ourselves enough. Honestly, things will be alright. Try to talk to someone in your personal life if you can, if not that is fine, go to your new GP and look at all the options available to you.

I know things will get better, you already took the first step in getting the help you felt like you needed, sadly an A-hole of a doctor didn't reciprocate, but they aren't all like that. Everything will be okay :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending