The Student Room Group

Second car - need advice please

I've currently got a 1L Peugeot 107 which I've now owned for a year. I'm wondering whether to change to something different as I've never really loved the car. I don't have a whole lot of money but could muster up maybe £4000-5000 in the next month or two after selling my car.

I'm a student so I need something cheap to insure, cheap to tax and cheap to run. These reasons are why I got the Peugeot 107 in the first place but I'm willing to spend more on insurance and tax for something which is a little bit more padded out if you know what I mean. I feel very vulnerable when driving my current car.

I've always wanted a Mini Cooper or Fiat 500 so I'm leaning towards one of those. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? I'm also wanting to get an automatic.
Stick with what you have got. After spending £4 - £5k on a new car and insurance you will still have four wheels, an engine and a means of getting from A to B. If money is tight, don't bother burning it on a car. Go and have a nice holiday instead. Even the best cars in the world still have to queue up on the M25 like everyone else.

Have fun!
Reply 2
Original post by Sparkliest
I've currently got a 1L Peugeot 107 which I've now owned for a year. I'm wondering whether to change to something different as I've never really loved the car. I don't have a whole lot of money but could muster up maybe £4000-5000 in the next month or two after selling my car.

I'm a student so I need something cheap to insure, cheap to tax and cheap to run. These reasons are why I got the Peugeot 107 in the first place but I'm willing to spend more on insurance and tax for something which is a little bit more padded out if you know what I mean. I feel very vulnerable when driving my current car.

I've always wanted a Mini Cooper or Fiat 500 so I'm leaning towards one of those. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? I'm also wanting to get an automatic.

if you want a laugh and a car that makes you smile but sometimes has to be coaxed into life get a fiat 500 but get the diesel 1.3 with a high spec, you can pick one up for 4000 with about 50k miles. personally I would get a manual as it is better for fuel (faster) and the clutch is so light on them with a bite point about 2 inches from the top of the travel you barely put effort into changing. they are ridiculously cheap to insure tax and put fuel in (I get 55 average driving like a yob and 60+ driving like a granny) they go wrong quite a lot but can be fixed with a spanner and a tub of Vaseline most of the time
Personally i don't care what car I have as long as it's big, economical, automatic, smooth ride, cruise control and comfy seats.

If you only have a small amount of money to spend as you say, I'd honestly stick with what you have. A car isn't a life partner, it's a chair on wheels with an engine to get you from A to B.*
(edited 7 years ago)
I've just bought a mini, it's £40 to fill it and £800 on insurance for three people (Buisness insurance) they're great cars to have!
Original post by Jackieox
I've just bought a mini, it's £40 to fill it and £800 on insurance for three people (Buisness insurance) they're great cars to have!

It has a 44 litre tank though. It doesn't make it any cheaper, it just means you have go out of your way to fill it up more often, and don't have the ability to wait for fuel prices changes as much as the rest of us.

The insurance on the other hand though is great. Mine is paid for, kind of... (maybe that's why that call it benefit in kind lol.) Comes out of my salary but with some tax stuff on it that apparently makes it cheaper than doing it myself.
Original post by Sparkliest

Which year are you after?

I love the styling of the latest MINI, think you would get more space in the Cooper rather than the Fiat 500 if space is a big issue for you. Think the Cooper is slightly more to run but just depends on your budget and what you want from the car

Have you had a look around for deals on the Cooper yet?

Quick Reply

Latest