Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Dissertation motivation?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I'm not sure if any other students are in this situation but I'm in my final year and I really am making no progress at all on my dissertation. I have never been able to work alone but the fact that there is no real module to go along with this means that there is nobody else to work alongside. Is anyone else rather lost for people to work with on their final projects / dissertations? I don't need help to write the thing but I know I'll never really get any of it done if I sit in the library alone.

You really have to motivate yourself and get it done. Only you know what works best for you. The dissertation is meant to be your work and you have to declare it as such. Presumably this is a subject and topic you're interested in.

Strange, most people are the most productive if they sit in the library alone and have no distrations.

It's hepful to make a masterplan. Define what you'll work on per week (intro, lit review, interviews, etc.) and then break it down further. Leave time for final review and friends/co-students to have a read.

oh i'm not looking for help to write it. i'm an intensely social person who needs other people around to accomplish work of any sort. i'm just wondering if anyone else out there is in the same situation with nobody else to spend time with while working on their things, whether they're that or not. i can write it. i just can't write it in solitude and simply being around strangers is unhelpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.