The Student Room Group

Gonnahave to miss possibly 2 days worth of lectures/seminars/labs, worth for stag do?

Hey guys, basically I've been invited to go to my brother in law's stag do, and I dunno if I feel comfortable in going for several reasons.

Im gonna be a Pharmacy 1st year student from this coming september at the University of Reading. The date for the stag do is between 14th - 16th of October, Fri-Sun. So its at the period of time where the course has begun its full flow.....if that even makes sense ( iv been to uni before ), so its most likely gonna be busy on the Friday as well. I know from experience that missing 2-3 lectures doesn't mean really anything at all ( trust me I've had 90+% attendance in the past ), but missing a seminar/tutorial or a lab is really bad unless I have some form of excuse, even if my excuse is accepted, it'll still affect me studies to some extent ( not too much hopefully ).

Another point I want to make is I dont really know anyone in my brother in law's group, im 21 and they're all like 30+, met 2 of em before and it was bloody awkward, im the typical introvert that likes playing video games and anime/manga XD. Despite all that, my brother in law ( lets call him James ) really wants me to come as I am close to him and he'll "make sure that I dont feel left out/ feel like a tag along".

From my POV, I do want to go, I am willing to miss a few lectures ( if its a seminar or anything else, im gonna have to think again) for my brother in law, but I really some other person's well thought opinion regarding this matter.
Do you have your timetable yet? You may only have labs once or twice a week, if you're lucky your uni might let you pick which days they are or they might not allocate you Friday labs :smile: If your seminars/ tutorials are like ours, they don't contribute towards your grade so you'll be fine as you don't totally need to attend - if it's a very small group and the tutor will notice your absence, just claim you had food poisoning or something (very easy to happen with student cooking...).
I wouldn't miss the introduction of an important course like that
Is it possible for you to arrive late on the Friday evening or the Saturday morning? That means you could still go to the stag do but you wouldn't miss out on any uni stuff.
Sounds like he's arranging it so you can make it, do what the guy above said or don't go thats your option.
I think it's pretty *****y not to go to your sister's future husband's stag do. You're a pretty important person to be at the stag do! Missing one tutorial or lab won't kill you or ruin your grades, as long as you prepare accordingly. I give myself a free pass for each class every semester, where I don't go to one tutorial so that I can focus on other things instead and it's only been a positive thing for me (on track for a first, misses some classes and just does the work before/after).
Original post by GoingToBurst
I think it's pretty *****y not to go to your sister's future husband's stag do. You're a pretty important person to be at the stag do! Missing one tutorial or lab won't kill you or ruin your grades, as long as you prepare accordingly. I give myself a free pass for each class every semester, where I don't go to one tutorial so that I can focus on other things instead and it's only been a positive thing for me (on track for a first, misses some classes and just does the work before/after).

This really really depends on the course and uni.

Many of the labs on my course were compulsory and if you didn't attend you couldn't do the lab based assignment...hence ruining your grade.

Op should really check exactly what he'll miss.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending