Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I May Have Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad course - waste of time? 17-10-2016

    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't even know where to start to get counselling. My sixth form certainly doesn't offer it!
    I tried counselling through my school when I was a bit younger and it was honestly the worst. If you go to your GP, they can refer you to a better trained NHS funded counsellor who will be able to help you a lot more

    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Will they give me those if I don't go with my mum/without her consent because I don't want them to tell her
    Yes, you have no obligation to tell her. The Hippocratic oath is a thing.

    Couple of things - an NHS counsellor isn't necessarily better trained. You should get counselling from someone who has a minimum of a level 4 qualification in counselling or psychotherapy. But it is important to bear in mind that the higher the qualification doesn't always correlate to a better therapist. It often relates more to their academic abilities. For example, I'm a level 5 qualified counsellor which means I took the foundation degree academically but my experience comes from many places and I specialise in trauma and PTSD.

    So when you seek a counsellor you want to know their qualifications and what professional development/experience they have. But the malt important things are believing the therapy could work and having a good relationship with that counsellor. Some of my own best sessions were with trainee therapists who hadn't even seen a real client yet!

    There's also many different modalities of therapy: CBT, rebt, dbt, person centred, psychotherapy, gestalt..on and on. So you could work better with a different approach or a counsellor who uses an integrative approach. Or you could do better with a different counsellor using the same approach as previously.

    PTSD won't go away by itself, if this is what you have. It also won't go away with meds, but meds can reduce anxiety and manage mood. GP is a good starting block. Could also seek out charities that offer therapy.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.