The Student Room Group

Higher Maths

Can anyone tell me any useful resources, such as websites and books that can help me with maths. Any youtube channels that are any good.

Thanks.
I take it you're doing Scottish qualifications? In that case, I've heard good things about Scholar (run by Heriot Watt Uni) which your school can help you access. I was using it for Higher Physics and Chem mainly but the maths section is allegedly very useful. Also, goes without saying, but the SQA website for past papers is essential.
Reply 2
Original post by TheFroyoBear
I take it you're doing Scottish qualifications? In that case, I've heard good things about Scholar (run by Heriot Watt Uni) which your school can help you access. I was using it for Higher Physics and Chem mainly but the maths section is allegedly very useful. Also, goes without saying, but the SQA website for past papers is essential.

Thanks dude. Yeah I have heard of it before, never really used it though.

How is it for the sciences ? Good relevant info?
Original post by Ethan100
Thanks dude. Yeah I have heard of it before, never really used it though.

How is it for the sciences ? Good relevant info?

It was very good for getting your head around some of the stranger concepts in Higher physics which is what I used it for 90% of the time. As for the other sciences, I did use it a little for chemistry here and there but didn't use it all for biology. I don't know if the content has been updated since I used it about 2 years ago, but sometimes they do like to add some further information in there which may not be in the course itself - it doesn't do any harm unless it's taking up a lot of your time.
I should also mention that Higher maths is a bit more of a step up from Int 2 (or Nat 5 now?) than most other subjects.
Can anyone tell me any useful resources, such as websites and books that can help me with maths. Any youtube channels that are any good.

Thanks.

The hsn notes (
http://www.hsn.uk.net/higher-maths/notes/) are quite good: They give a comprehensive overview of each topic, with a few examples to show you how it's done.

If your school uses MyMaths, that's pretty good for an introduction/quick look at a topic, with interactivity and quite a number of practice questions. It can be difficult to find some topics, though, as it's designed for the English education system rather than the Scottish one. Most of the Higher stuff's under A-Level (Core 1 and 2), but it's usually best to use the search bar first.

Khan Academy (
https://www.khanacademy.org/) can be really good, but it's designed for the US system and sometimes they miss out stuff, or do stuff that you don't need to know. If nothing else, the videos can be good.

When you get onto past paper questions, DLBMaths (
https://www.youtube.com/user/DLBmaths/videos) is a great channel. He goes through past paper questions (for Nat 5, Higher and Advanced Higher), and explains what he's doing very clearly. He's also got this year's Nat 5 paper up, if you really can't wait.
Would anyone be able to help me with questions 7 and 8???
Reply 8
Original post by Rebeccahughes15
Would anyone be able to help me with questions 7 and 8???

What topics have you done in h maths ?
What topics have you done in h maths ?

Polynomials, and Quadtratics but I managed to work out the answer anyway so thanks! X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending