The Student Room Group

Flying Pendulum

Hi,

I just came across this awesome pendulum working!

I searched on the internet but there isn't much about its working of the pendulum except the history!

CHECK OUT THE CLOCK HERE!
[video="youtube;xWCmXvWM0ZY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWCmXvWM0ZY[/video]

Can someone please tell me what's going on with this pendulum??!! I am especially interested in the conversion of KE and PE.

In SHM, the PE is max at the amplitudes but here when is KE or PE max or min>>???
:wink::s-smilie:
It would appear that there is quite a high energy input from the clock compared to a simple pendulum. it'll either have a falling mass or a wound spring in there.
what I noticed is that the bob is going in the opposite direction after the first unwind on each side but it is being forced to reverse direction eg @ 0:55
The very visible energy conversion is KE to PE as the bob winds round the spindle and gains a little height and then PE to KE as it unwinds again and loses height, but I think the losses are great, friction of string winding around the spindles and the relatively high speed of the bob through the air causing drag losses... I'm doubtful that pendulum could complete one cycle under it's own energy.
Thanks so so much Joinedup. Actually after I tried to build it, I found thats true; for the pendulum to complete one cycle it does need an additional force. If we build that clock manually, i.e only have the pendulum and not the clock it needs a falling mass to support it!

:h:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply