Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Flying Pendulum

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I just came across this awesome pendulum working!

I searched on the internet but there isn't much about its working of the pendulum except the history!

Can someone please tell me what's going on with this pendulum??!! I am especially interested in the conversion of KE and PE.

In SHM, the PE is max at the amplitudes but here when is KE or PE max or min>>???

It would appear that there is quite a high energy input from the clock compared to a simple pendulum. it'll either have a falling mass or a wound spring in there.
    what I noticed is that the bob is going in the opposite direction after the first unwind on each side but it is being forced to reverse direction eg @ 0:55
    The very visible energy conversion is KE to PE as the bob winds round the spindle and gains a little height and then PE to KE as it unwinds again and loses height, but I think the losses are great, friction of string winding around the spindles and the relatively high speed of the bob through the air causing drag losses... I'm doubtful that pendulum could complete one cycle under it's own energy.

Thanks so so much Joinedup. Actually after I tried to build it, I found thats true; for the pendulum to complete one cycle it does need an additional force. If we build that clock manually, i.e only have the pendulum and not the clock it needs a falling mass to support it!

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.