Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My first bike.

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Rather embarrassingly, I am 16 years old and have no idea how to ride a bike - the blame is fully on my parents and has nothing to do with me being lazy, unmotivated and the world's biggest procrastinator. Despite being great to use in a conversation, i've realised it's time to get my **** together and finally learn however looking into the world of cycling I am completely and utterly discombobulated. Should I get a mountain bike or a road bike, has anyone got any suggestions for first bikes? I think i'll get the general idea of how to ride one, i know it just requires practice. Any help or advice with regards to this topic would be much appreciated))

it depends how you want to ride, a mountain bike is probably easier to start with as it's comfier, less aggressive position and a bit easier to balance although if you'd like to start biking a lot then a road bike will be better, it takes more getting used to but is better for longer distances

as far as learning, do so in a quiet location so you can fall a few times and not be in danger and preferable have someone else with you in case you hurt yourself (although you're unlikely to if you're just slowly pedalling around a car park or something), it won't take long to get the hang of it

Get on the interweb. You are not alone. Many local authorities offer either cheap or free cycle lessons. They will help you with the basics but also teach you basic road sense.

Buy a cheap second hand bike till you find your feet. If it is for you then you will be better informed to make a decision on the direction to go. Don't bother with a mountain bike unless you plan to do the majority of your riding off road. Similarly don't bother with hybrids that have any form of suspension. Just find a good bike shop (recommendation) and get them to give you the low down on the various styles of bike on offer these days.

As above stay the hell away from anything with suspension if you won't be going off-road, the springs absorb and waste a lot of the energy from your efforts.

If you do plan to go on and off-road and feel you'll need a bike with suspension then get one with forks that have a lockout so you can make them rigid when you hit the tarmac.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.