The Student Room Group

How many cases is normal for moving into halls?

How many cases is a normal amount to use to move your stuff into halls?
I've been told three but that seems like a lot and I don't want to be seen to be taking too.
Reply 1
This is one of those classic things that everyone worries about before going and no-one even remembers after XD

Take as many as you need - three's fine. I had one big case, one big holdall and like five carrier bags, I think. I think other people on my corridor had literally filled up their cars. Everyone's too busy sorting out their own stuff/won't even arrived yet for them to notice yours.
Original post by Uhhhh111
How many cases is a normal amount to use to move your stuff into halls?
I've been told three but that seems like a lot and I don't want to be seen to be taking too.

Hello :smile:

Put it this way, I can make you feel better. When I moved into university in First Year, I took three cars worth of stuff with me.

There you go!

But as someone has mentioned, it's something that no one takes much notice of!
Nobody cares. just remember when term ends you could be taking all or most of it back home. I think you take what you need and adjust over the year. Its laos a good idea not to completely emty your room at home if you intend going back over the weekends etc.
Reply 4
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Hello :smile:

Put it this way, I can make you feel better. When I moved into university in First Year, I took three cars worth of stuff with me.

There you go!

But as someone has mentioned, it's something that no one takes much notice of!

Three cards? Jesus Christ what the hell were you bringing
Original post by Pato1
Three cards? Jesus Christ what the hell were you bringing

They were all fairly small cars in all fairness! I'm a film fanatic and have quite collection so I took all them as well as most my clothes, homely things, kitchen stuff and what not.
no one cares, just decide what you want and take it

some people move on the train with one suitcase and others bring a people carrier rammed full of stuff

bear in mind that you'll only get busier at uni so if you don't use something now don't bother taking it, uni rooms tend to be very small and have little storage so try and be selective so your room doesn't end up being a mess
From years of experience moving between home and my uni house every holiday I'd say a large suitcase, a medium sized suitcase or duffel bag kind of thing, the bag you plan on using for uni, plus bedding is a good amount of stuff to have in total. That'll give you everything you need plus some luxuries and decorations, some accumulated crap, and a bit of food.

Equally though it can be done with one suitcase if you can get bedding on the day of arrival and kitchen stuff can wait a few days if necessary, or if you have the ability to take a lot of stuff and want to you could do a car full providing your room will fit it all.
Don't forget, cases can vary in size :lol:

But seriously, take as little as you need. Plan out your clothes, first of all - do you need any special clothes? Eg a dress or suit particularly for interviews or nights out if that's your thing. How many pairs of shoes do you need? How many things do you anticipate to buy over the year? For reference, I had enough clothes to last over a week, maybe a week and a half, before having to wash things.

Also think about what is supplied - how many plates, what cutlery etc do you need? I found that I didn't need a huge amount of plates, it was good practice to wash up as soon as possible to avoid dirty dishes piling up, which can be a nightmare in a shared house.

What other things do you need? Well, the main thing next is probably tech. Decide whether you need a TV, a laptop or some other device is probably a must. All of your different chargers, etc, don't forget those whatever you do. And if you have vital stationery already then bring that along too.

The rest is up to you, but don't bring things you know you'll never use, as mentioned above you're only going to accumulate more things and you have to throw it away or carry it back at the end. A poster may be nice and some cake or something to share with everyone but not musts.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending