Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you're looking for a new mobile phone/tariff please look here first!!

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whyalwaysme)
    Thanks for that . Do you or anyone else know what the difference is between buying a contranct from a third party retailer such as phones4u, and buying it directly from the operator, e.g. Orange? The third party retailers seem to be cheaper but have really bad reviews online :/ . Is there any noticeable difference? Is the contract with the network or the retailer?

Thanks
    I'm not 100% sure what the difference is, however, I think it's just like buying an ipad from Comet or Pcworld and not directly from Apple. If it were to be faulty then the first call you would make would be to wherever you bought it, so for instance if you bought your phone/contract from phones4u, you would call them, but they might not be in such a rush to help you as the networks (O2, Orange etc) would be. This seems to be the main reason that they have bad reviews along with the fact that they usually promise next day delivery for your phone but it could be a few weeks before it arrives. Apart from that I don't think it makes much of a difference.

But if I were to buy from a third party retailer then I'd definitely stick with one of the big ones that you've mentioned and not use any shabby looking websites.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benniboi1)
    If its by Redemption - like if it says 5 months free by Redemption - then it isn't guaranteed that you will get your money back from those 5 months that you've paid for. It is legitimate but give them any excuse (like paying a bill late) and you could lose your free months.

I think with the cashback it's a lot more straightforward and possibly a better option but I don't know that much about it.
    Thanks!

I might go down to carphonewarehouse tomorrow instead. Last time I had a contract phone I was paying extortionate amounts of money each month. So, I am trying to be a little careful this time round. Lol.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I have to get a new phone/sim card because mine was stolen. I really am clueless on UK networks could you give me any advice?

Im looking for a pay-as-you-go tariff, and it has to have internet, so i can use whatsapp with my long distance partner.

Id really appreciate some help! thank you so very much!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ms. Snuffleupagus)
    Hi everyone

I have to get a new phone/sim card because mine was stolen. I really am clueless on UK networks could you give me any advice?

Im looking for a pay-as-you-go tariff, and it has to have internet, so i can use whatsapp with my long distance partner.

I'd like to help but I don't know what whatsapp is. What phone does your partner have? If there's a free messaging service between phones because your partner has a BlackBerry or something, you'd be best off going for something similar. Is your partner outside of the UK? If so, look more at the international deals/bolt ons that are offered rather than the cost of UK calls/texts, as that would be likely to save you the most money.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is something like this good?
    http://shop.tescomobile.com/mobile-p...tion?deal=3669
    I currently have a HTC Desire on O2, 600 mins, unlimited texts and 500mb data for £35. Obviously I can't afford that when I go to uni and my contract ends in September. Is it worth seeing if O2 can rival Tesco or is the phone/tariff good as it is on Tesco?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .gina)
    Is something like this good?
    http://shop.tescomobile.com/mobile-p...tion?deal=3669
    I currently have a HTC Desire on O2, 600 mins, unlimited texts and 500mb data for £35. Obviously I can't afford that when I go to uni and my contract ends in September. Is it worth seeing if O2 can rival Tesco or is the phone/tariff good as it is on Tesco?
    £25 is quite a lot for the Sensation (which isn't brand new anymore). Unless you really need the 600 mins (a decent amount for what you're paying) I'd suggest looking at other phone deals on the Tesco website.

For example, take a look at this:

http://phone-shop.tesco.com/mobile-p...ampid=7&tmad=c
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pritesh.Mistry)
    £25 is quite a lot for the Sensation (which isn't brand new anymore). Unless you really need the 600 mins (a decent amount for what you're paying) I'd suggest looking at other phone deals on the Tesco website.

For example, take a look at this:

http://phone-shop.tesco.com/mobile-p...ampid=7&tmad=c
    I think I'm a bit biased to HTC as my phone has been pretty good, apart from the battery getting worse and worse (which isn't surprising). I would prefer to have quite a lot of minutes ideally as I do call a fair bit. I'll have a look around and see what else I can get though, thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if anybody had any advice for me as I'm not the most clued up about these things.. (And it would be my first contract.) I'm looking to go on contract and I like the look of the Samsung Galaxy S3. I've found it for £26 on T-Mobile: 300 mins, unlimited texts, and 750MB internet compared to the deal I like on Orange (well there's two) the first is £31: 400 mins, unlimited texts, and 750MB internet, and the other is £33.50: 900 mins, unlimited texts, and 1GB. I think that what the T-Mobile contract offers is enough for me. The real problem I have is that I'm on Orange at the moment, and I like having Orange Wednesdays and Magic Numbers.. Just wondering if you think it is worth it to pay that much extra for not that much difference just to get those extra two benefits? Any help appreciated.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    has anybody bought a contract from dialaphone.com or know someone that has? I was wondering if they're legit and the deals they offer are real and its not a scam.

They have a great deal on a phone i was thinking of getting and it seems to good to be true, I've read online reviews and they seem alright but i thought I'd also see on here.

Thanks
    • 110 followers

ReputationRep:
    I too am interested in the Galaxy S3. I'm not bothered about minutes or texts really, just Internet. What's the best out there? Cheers.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ms. Snuffleupagus)
    Hi everyone

Often, 3 does some real nice deals.
    Last easter, I got a sim only contract that has 900 mins or text (or a mix) and 1GB internet for £15..... and they gave me a free phone (nokia E72). This phone was a one off, and I don't upgrade at all. As I said, its a sim contract.
    My mate also got a HTC one X (the new one) that has unlimited texts, unlimited interned and 500 mins for £30. Once again, the phone was free.
    But then again, it depends what phone you have as to whether you go with 3.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim-x)
    I'd like to help but I don't know what whatsapp is. What phone does your partner have? If there's a free messaging service between phones because your partner has a BlackBerry or something,
    That's essentially what whatsapp is but you need the app instead of a blackberry
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RunningHam)
    I was wondering if anybody had any advice for me as I'm not the most clued up about these things.. (And it would be my first contract.) I'm looking to go on contract and I like the look of the Samsung Galaxy S3. I've found it for £26 on T-Mobile: 300 mins, unlimited texts, and 750MB internet compared to the deal I like on Orange (well there's two) the first is £31: 400 mins, unlimited texts, and 750MB internet, and the other is £33.50: 900 mins, unlimited texts, and 1GB. I think that what the T-Mobile contract offers is enough for me. The real problem I have is that I'm on Orange at the moment, and I like having Orange Wednesdays and Magic Numbers.. Just wondering if you think it is worth it to pay that much extra for not that much difference just to get those extra two benefits? Any help appreciated.
    Well the £5 difference is essentially 1 cinema ticket. So if you:
    A. use orange wednesdays once a month every month
    or
    B. would use more than 300 minutes if you didn't have magic numbers
    ...then it's worth going with Orange.

If not, then save the £5 and go with T-mobile.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm tearing my hair out with my Samsung Galaxy Ace. My internal memory is constantly full; the touchscreen is dodgy and the phone is unresponsive to say the least. I don't think I just have a faulty phone - it really isn't for me. However, I do have a contract with Virgin Mobile until next August so I'm looking to sell my Ace on ebay for a new, unlocked phone. Used Aces seem to be selling for about £60-£70 on ebay which I know doesn't sound a lot but when you hear of the phone I'm thinking about buying as a replacement, you'll see my point.

A few years ago I owned a Sony Ericsson W880i. It is by far the best little phone I've ever had and I really don't care about having fancy apps, games or whatever. However, my contract does include quite a few MBs of internet which I do use for general Googling and email. I know the W880i has both email and internet but I used to have the phone on PAYG so I never used internet/email and I have no idea how basic it is. Ideally I'd like to have fairly swift access to Facebook and be able to upload photos/update statuses but that, and Google, is about the extent of my online activity. With regards to email I have a Hotmail account and I'm willing to bet that Hotmail won't be compatible with the W880i so I might have to change to Googlemail but I was planning on doing that anyway so it's not really a problem. But does anyone know with the W880i whether the email is on all the time and refreshes itself automatically to receive new emails, or do you have to do that manually?

My search isn't limited to the W880i but it's the best phone I could think of within my price range (that said, I don't know a huge range of phones). As well as what I've said above, I don't want to spend any more than £80; I'd like to have a 9 button keyboard again (I have disliked all my touchscreen phones and wasn't a huge fan of Qwerty); wifi/GPS would be nice but I know they make a phone pricey.

Also, I'd better double check - I can actually sell a contract phone on ebay and buy another to put the sim card in can't I (provided that it's unlocked)?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    I'm tearing my hair out with my Samsung Galaxy Ace. My internal memory is constantly full; the touchscreen is dodgy and the phone is unresponsive to say the least. I don't think I just have a faulty phone - it really isn't for me. However, I do have a contract with Virgin Mobile until next August so I'm looking to sell my Ace on ebay for a new, unlocked phone. Used Aces seem to be selling for about £60-£70 on ebay which I know doesn't sound a lot but when you hear of the phone I'm thinking about buying as a replacement, you'll see my point.

A few years ago I owned a Sony Ericsson W880i. It is by far the best little phone I've ever had and I really don't care about having fancy apps, games or whatever. However, my contract does include quite a few MBs of internet which I do use for general Googling and email. I know the W880i has both email and internet but I used to have the phone on PAYG so I never used internet/email and I have no idea how basic it is. Ideally I'd like to have fairly swift access to Facebook and be able to upload photos/update statuses but that, and Google, is about the extent of my online activity. With regards to email I have a Hotmail account and I'm willing to bet that Hotmail won't be compatible with the W880i so I might have to change to Googlemail but I was planning on doing that anyway so it's not really a problem. But does anyone know with the W880i whether the email is on all the time and refreshes itself automatically to receive new emails, or do you have to do that manually?

My search isn't limited to the W880i but it's the best phone I could think of within my price range (that said, I don't know a huge range of phones). As well as what I've said above, I don't want to spend any more than £80; I'd like to have a 9 button keyboard again (I have disliked all my touchscreen phones and wasn't a huge fan of Qwerty); wifi/GPS would be nice but I know they make a phone pricey.

Also, I'd better double check - I can actually sell a contract phone on ebay and buy another to put the sim card in can't I (provided that it's unlocked)?
    You can sell a contract phone, but you have to keep the sim card which the contract is associated with.

If you only really use the phone for facebook, hotmail and google searches and want an easy UI (User Interface) to work with, it may be worth checking out mindows mobile 7/7.5. As you said you aren't interested in apps, the majority of the drawbacks with WM7/7.5 are its lack of apps. It does have whatsapp on there so that's handy.

If you are looking for the 9 keys type phone then I would suggest checking out the Nokia N96, Nokia N86, Nokia N79, Nokia N82 or the Sony Ericsson W995. Obviously these phones are out of production so you'll have to search for used examples. Check avforums classified adverts to both sell your phone and buy your phone. They take no commission (in fact its a forum) and I've used them to sell my old phones before, and can vouch for the site. Prices are also cheaper than eBay as the seller gets to keep 100% of the price. Be sure to haggle though!

hotukdeals.co.uk is another website where cheap contract deals are posted but you said you've already got a contract so there's no point in that.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for an inexpensive, non-smartphone with the following requirements:
    - a good 3G internet connection
    - GPS
    - preferably WIFI but not as essential
    - a decent camera
    - Either slider/candybar. I want a 9 button keyboard, not qwerty or touch (although I don't mind a touchscreen with a keypad, like the Nokia C2-02.

I don't mind if it's out of production now - I'm happy to get a used one off ebay. I just need to be able to get it either used or new for no more than £90.

As many suggestions as possible please!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to let people know of this offer I've just taken up - iPhone 4 for £26pm (and £29 for handset), 2000 mins, unlimited text, unlimited internet. You may be able to find a cashback deal on another website too, but this is a pretty good offer even if you can't.

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobil...e-4-8gb-black/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Could I have some help please?

I'm looking to buy a new phone for £100 or less. I don't care anout the format of the keyboard, qwert, touch whatever as long as it's fairly good and not annoying. Not too bothered about games or whatever. Mainly I'm going to use Twitter, google and mail. So I want fairly good internet/wifi connection and a fair amount of data. An alright camera wouldn't be bad, but I'm not too bothered about that. I'm not looking to buy a phone on contract just on Pay as You Go or whatever.

I'm currently looking at Samsung Galaxy Y and Blackberry Curve 8520. Are these good/bad? Any other suggestions?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    anyone know any good iphone 4s 16/32gb plans, would prefer to pay no more than £30 a month, minimum 500mins, unlimited texts, 1gb internet or unlimited.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hello, i have some questions

Which is a good site to compare the prices for Pay as you go phones?

What is a good phone for me to buy on Pay as you go
    - Has to have WIFI
    - Cheaper the Better (Under £100)
    - Andriod Jellybean 4.1
    - Not too small

Thank You

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 23, 2014
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.