The Student Room Group

Access course or HND?

Hi all,

I've been accepted to do an ACCESS/SWAP: STEM course at Glasgow Kelvin College - I also just got an email from Glasgow Clyde to come in to determine my suitability for a HND course I applied for - which will be starting in January due to not enough students applying to start the course in August.

Few questions

Is my best option to start the access course, and then switch to the HND in January? effectively shaving a year off my study time

Will I be able to do the above (with regards to funding, etc)

If the course starts in January will it run right through summer? Not sure how that works

Any advice appreciated, ta!
I'd phone student finance to make sure about funding. In England doing a HND can affect student finance for a degree, as you'd already have a level 5 qualification they only fund a top up year to get the a Bachelors rather than doing a full degree, no idea about Scotland(edit: duh, just realised this in the Scotland forum).

Tbh I'd just start the Access course, there's no guarantee they'll get enough students for January and then you'll be back to square one.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd just complete the access course and enter into you're chosen degree scheme. Yes you can go into 3rd year of a degree after completing a HND but often students that go into third year from a HND struggle.
Original post by TheNeutralizer
I'd just complete the access course and enter into you're chosen degree scheme. Yes you can go into 3rd year of a degree after completing a HND but often students that go into third year from a HND struggle.

Total nonsense. I know plenty of people who have entered university from an HND and not one has struggled.

What I would say though OP, is that they tend to offer specific courses for HND leavers - specific 3rd year direct entry courses. But of course, you can decline this route and also enter in to 1st or 2nd year at a different university (perhaps a higher regarded one).

Also - you can study an access course, and an HND from year one without funding issues under the 'fasle start' additional year.

Personally I would do the access course and enter year 1 at university. Kelvin College has a fantastic team in place (particularly their Springburn campus) and will offer you all the support and guidance you need.

The HND may well waste your time if later down the line you realize you want a specific university or degree program as it can limit options... Particularly if you have a poor first graded unit.

Quick Reply

Latest