The Student Room Group

Black LIES Matter UK

This is the video posted by the official BLMUK social media accounts that organised the 'nationwide shutdown' in which they use misleading statistics and lies in an attempt to justify their pathetic protests.

[video="youtube;IijU-ZbFFPM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IijU-ZbFFPM[/video]

"1,562 deaths in police custody in my lifetime. 0 convictions."
Very misleading. One would think they are referring to black deaths in police custody when this is the total number of deaths for all races. Regardless, deaths in police custody are NOT the fault of the police 99.9% of the time. What accounts for these deaths are things like vehicular pursuits, road traffic incidents, etc. See more here.

"Sarah Reed. Jermaine Baker. Mzee Mohammed. All killed in the last 8 months."

Sarah Reed - suffered from mental health issues. She was found dead in her cell at Holloway Prison after she hanged herself. Police did not kill her. She was subject to a brutal assault by a Met Police officer in 2012 but this is completely unrelated to her death.

Jermaine Baker - was part of criminal gang trying to free a criminal (Izzet Eren) from a police custody van. Luckily, police were aware of the plot and had the gang under surveillance. They planned to free the criminal by holding up the van using an imitation Uzi machine gun. This replica gun was later recovered from the bugged car. Arguably, this was a justified shooting.

Mzee Mohammed - had a knife and was behaving in an 'aggressive and erratic manner'. Police were called to scene and arrested him. They had to call an ambulance once it became clear that Mohammed was suffering 'a medical episode'. Police did not kill him.

"Black people are up to 37 times more likely to be stopped and searched."
This is just a complete lie. Take a look at 'Stop and search search statistics 2013-14' for Wales and England. Refer to 'SS.11':

White people stopped and searched - 635,497

Black people stopped and searched - 100,587

In England and Wales, white people make up ~85% of the population whilst black people make up ~3.3% of the population. If you adjust the figures for each race so that they are 100% of the population, you get the following:

White people stopped and searched (if 100% of population) - 747,643

Black people stopped and searched (if 100% of population) - 3,048,090

In other words, black people are ~4x more likely to be stopped and searched by police, not 37x. This figure can generally be justified when you factor in the higher crime rate among black people.

"More likely to be arrested."
This is because crime rates are higher among black people. See the statistics on race and the criminal justice system from 2014 here. Black people make up 3% of the UK population yet are clearly over-represented in most criminal offences - Robbery is an obvious example:

"More likely to be convicted."
This is false. In fact, the conviction ratio is actually higher for white people (source):

"Black people face far more severe sentencing than white people for the same offence."
It is true that black people receive a longer custodial sentence on average. However, there is no clear evidence to suggest they receive a harsher sentence for the same offence.

There is a valid reason for differences in sentence lengths and people shouldn't always jump to the conclusion of racism. Black people are likely to receive longer sentence on average because of the prominence in the specific TYPES of crime they commit.

"The 3,034 black and brown bodies drowned in the Mediterranean, in 2016 alone."
Obviously this is very sad but this simply isn't the fault of the UK. This is the fault of Angela Merkel and the EU who have openly encouraged the influx of migrants - many of which aren't even coming from Syria.

"Those bundled into vans and disappeared. Deported. Those incarcerated and abused in immigration centres."
Illegal immigrants are criminals. That is what happens to illegal immigrants. If they wish to live in the UK, they can do so legally. As for the abuse in immigration centres, I'd say there is definitely a citation needed there.

"Sean Rigg and Kingsley Burrell."

Sean Rigg - died from cardiac arrest in 2008. He became 'uncooperative and aggressive' and police had to restrain him. Police actions had somewhat contributed to Rigg's death after he was held in a prone position for eight minutes.

Kingsley Burrell - similarly died from cardiac arrest four days after he was arrested in March 2011. An inquest ruled prolonged restraint and a failure to provide basic medical attention may have contributed to his death.

Obviously there was police misconduct here and the officers involved are still being investigated to this day. I think it's important to note here that these deaths were not directly caused by police. Their deaths also had nothing to do with the fact they were black. This could have happened to anyone and their is absolutely nothing to suggest the police acted in this way because the arrestees were black.

"To be a black woman in 2016 means that you are almost three times more likely to be unemployed than a white woman. To be a black child in this country means you're three times more likely to be permanently excluded from school."
A black woman is 2.5 more likely to be unemployed than a white woman to be precise. I couldn't find a source for their second claim. Once again, the immediate conclusion is racism and oppression even though there is no evidence to suggest that is the case. The truth is that it's a much more of a complex issue with various factors at play.

For example, there was a government report on 'Young Black People and the Criminal Justice System' exploring the overrepresentation of black people committing criminal offences. Some of the causes:
1) Social exclusion, education underachievement and school exclusion
2) Lack of father involvement
3) A culture among young black people fuelled by the media and popular culture
4) More likely to come to the attention of police due to their higher risk of things like: social exclusion, living in rented accommodation and being homeless
5) More likely to come to the attention of police due to the TYPE of crimes that are more prevalent among black people
6) The relationship between black communities and the police

Some of these factors (like culture) may also play a part in the higher unemployment rates and school exclusion rates that they are talking about. The point is that it's a very complex issue and it certainly cannot just be put down to racism and discrimination against black people.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You will trigger them with facts if you aren't careful.
Original post by NickLCFC
This is the video posted by the official 'BLMUK' social media accounts that organised the 'nationwide shutdown today'.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/BLMUK/videos/639934202822226/[/video]

1,562 deaths in police custody in my lifetime. 0 convictions.
Very misleading. One would think they are referring to black deaths in police custody when this is the total number of deaths for all races. Regardless, deaths in police custody are NOT the fault of the police 99.9% of the time. What accounts for these deaths are things like vehicular pursuits, road traffic incidents, etc. See more here.

If you take the bare stats, in some years black people are less likely to die after police contact than white people.
Wave a replica gun at armed police and I have no sympathy for you when you get shot.
We have a UK BLM movement now?

I quit.
Thank you for posting this information. I live near somewhere that has been disrupted by this 'movement' today and far from actually eliciting sympathy for their cause, these protesters have simply got people's backs up with their disruptive actions.
Original post by inhuman
So how is this different to Brexit?

Haha.

There's always one. :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by JamesN88
Haha.

There's always one. :biggrin:

I am serious. I actually thought the title was referring to Brexit. Reminded me of what happened to Boris Johnson, basically called a liar and laughed at even by the US foreign secretary. Oh poor us, bad EU is bad, we must take Britain back. Victimhood at its finest. Lol.
Original post by inhuman
I am serious. I actually thought the title was referring to Brexit. Reminded me of what happened to Boris Johnson, basically called a liar and laughed at even by the US foreign secretary. Oh poor us, bad EU is bad, we must take Britain back. Victimhood at its finest. Lol.

Both sides were just as bad as eachother to be honest.
Regardless of whether they have a genuine message I have lost all faith in the movement today. They will NEVER have my support until there is serious reform in the movement.

Support human rights and black rights and equality, but so not support this band of hooligans that are getting in the way of the lives of working people, people going on holiday, people going about their daily lives.

Disgusting behaviour. Anyone blocking roads or tram tracks or whatever else should be arrested.
Original post by 1010marina
Regardless of whether they have a genuine message I have lost all faith in the movement today. They will NEVER have my support until there is serious reform in the movement.

Support human rights and black rights and equality, but so not support this band of hooligans that are getting in the way of the lives of working people, people going on holiday, people going about their daily lives.

Disgusting behaviour. Anyone blocking roads or tram tracks or whatever else should be arrested.

Yeah blocking off roads and stopping ordinary working class people from getting to work or going on holiday definitely won't do any favours for their cause. You'd think they would want to protest against the actual establishment.
Reply 11
Joke organisation in my opinion
Original post by Dreifusser.
x

Great arguments x
Yeah blocking off roads and stopping ordinary working class people from getting to work or going on holiday definitely won't do any favours for their cause. You'd think they would want to protest against the actual establishment.

All this has done has given my sympathy for the poor souls affected and stuck in traffic in 20 degree + weather, maybe missing work, about to be sacked, missed a job interview or a family holiday. Anybody affected will be annoyed, not impressed.

It has however cemented in my mind that BLM is a farce organisation of hooligans that don't care about anybody but themselves.

I just feel desperately sorry for those affected...
I think this thread's been well and truly derailed.:clap2:
Original post by JamesN88
I think this thread's been well and truly derailed.:clap2:

Certainly an interesting way to get a point across
Well this thread got weird.
Reply 17
Both sides were just as bad as eachother to be honest.

Not really.
BLM supporter can't handle the facts so they'll just try and get the thread closed?
Reply 19
Original post by Dreifusser.
x

Someone's got a fetish.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending