Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Essay Based IB Subject

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Can you please tell me what subjects in the IB are considered 'Essay- Based'? This is because I want to study Law at university and they say you need 'essay-based' subjects. What other subjects are good for Law?

Primarily English Literature and History. Some people also opt for Philosophy.

I think also psychology

I took higher level History. Very much essay writing - as it to be expected. I wrote about 10-20 practice essays during the 2 IB years. Heres the thing: if I somehow managed it, then you can too. Even though I invested most of my subject efforts into history I was not a diligent student. Far from it.

For higher level history I can give you a tip: Its about mixing facts with personal (reasonable) analysis. Download as many grade boundaries from the previous year as you can and see what the examiners love. Study the grade boundaries of your route (European history, or middle eastern history etc. etc. etc.) Getting the perfect essay structure and organizing your thoughts in a clear manner is literally half the deal. The rest of the deal is to deliver good essay content.

Law schools do like history I heard. So if you want to study law, then history should be one of your priorities if you ask me.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.