The Student Room Group

2017 - Asset Management/ Graduate Schemes

Thought it might be useful to have an asset management specific thread to share our progress :smile:

Anybody put in any applications yet? Seems like most won't open until September

Scroll to see replies

What firms are you applying to if I may ask?
Reply 2
Fidelity, Schroders, M&G, Capital, T.Rowe, SSGA, JP/GS/MS, Bailie Gifford to start with and then as many others as I can squeeze in! I'm juggling the ACA at the moment so I don't have as much time as I would like to put into these apps
Original post by Squ33zed
Fidelity, Schroders, M&G, Capital, T.Rowe, SSGA, JP/GS/MS, Bailie Gifford to start with and then as many others as I can squeeze in! I'm juggling the ACA at the moment so I don't have as much time as I would like to put into these apps

Good luck with your applications.
Are you only considering asset management or have you thought about equity research. There appears to be a lot of demand for qualified accountants from what I have gathered.
Reply 4
Original post by ThinkAndGrowRich
Good luck with your applications.
Are you only considering asset management or have you thought about equity research.

Definitely considered equity research, ideally i'd like to be buy-side but competition is fierce. i'll take what I can get haha!

Original post by ThinkAndGrowRich
There appears to be a lot of demand for qualified accountants from what I have gathered.

Oh really? for AM or ER? I'm about to be 2nd year at Big 4 but i've fallen in love with asset management, really torn as to whether I should see the ACA through or not. If I can get something now.. I figure I may as well make the jump.

How about yourself, are you applying as well?
---

Oh really? for AM or ER? I'm about to be 2nd year at Big 4 but i've fallen in love with asset management, really torn as to whether I should see the ACA through or not. If I can get something now.. I figure I may as well make the jump.

How about yourself, are you applying as well?

The comment was in reply to equity research; but ample accounting knowledge will of course also be indispensable for asset management.

Stick with the ACA! I know that there is a lot of pressure on you principally since you are doing it at one of the Big 4; but it will be worth it in the end. It is good to start networking now if you aren't already active. I would also recommend you to get into the TAS group.

I am doing the ACCA...the less alluring accounting qualification. The aim is also asset management; but it is a long shot!

Thanks does anyone know about the Quantitative analyst or technology roles?
Reply 8
Hi guys,I will be going into my final year for BSc Mathematics at the University of Manchester (aiming for a 1st) and so far I had an internship at a local bank in Moldova and a short internship with a technology company in England after my first year. This summer I am completing an internship in the financial department mainly doing risk management and commodities trading in an agribusiness in Moscow. I was wondering if I have any chances if i apply for grad schemes, considering that I don't have a relevant internship in UK and that I also come from Uni of Manchester whcih is obv lower regarded than Oxbridge, Imprial, Lse and so on. I would happily apply for a 2017 summer internship again, but the costs of doing a Master the year after are too high for me. So what do you recommend I do? Thanks!!!
Anyone know when T Rowe Price are open for applications??
You guys probably already know this but you should also be applying to equity research internships at banks and maybe for audit or corporate finance at the Big4. Those schemes can both lead to asset management jobs in the future in case you don't manage to secure an asset management graduate scheme right after university.
Does anyone know how long M&G take to update you after you have taken their tests?
Reply 12

Was Schroders Investment Graduate Program opened in August? I cannot see it now.
Hey everyone.

I recently starting looking into asset management, but I feel like I'm pretty clueless as to how likely it is that I'll be accepted onto a graduate scheme. *

Is there particular work experience that recruiters prefer? Perhaps a sign of initiative (personal dabbling in the industry, for example) that a lot of successful applicants have?

Right now it feels like another industry that I've learned about too late, but it does sound like an area I'd like to work in :tongue:.
Reply 14
hey guys, anybody else think there's very few opportunities this year compared with previous? so far I have come across several companies where they were offering schemes previously are not now, like:

schroders have already filled their graduate quota for investment roles from their summer interns
aberdeen are only taking on grads who have gone through their summer internships for 2017
can't see anything on T.Rowe and thought they were open around this time last year
UBS dont have ANY technical roles so far this year
neither do BAML (yet)

so far i've applied to the usual suspects (fidelity, baillie gifford, man etc.) but have found it limited outside some of these. I've looked at applying for some equity research roles at IBs but again no luck at places like UBS, RBC, BAML (thats only from the ones i've seen also). I'm really hoping not to intern over the summer with the desperate hope to convert.

I've heard that conversion rates were higher this summer due to smaller intakes at certain places, anyone hear this or experienced what i'm saying?
Reply 15
Original post by leo99756
Hey everyone.

I recently starting looking into asset management, but I feel like I'm pretty clueless as to how likely it is that I'll be accepted onto a graduate scheme. *

Is there particular work experience that recruiters prefer? Perhaps a sign of initiative (personal dabbling in the industry, for example) that a lot of successful applicants have?

Right now it feels like another industry that I've learned about too late, but it does sound like an area I'd like to work in :tongue:.

tbh if you have front office experience (or even middle office, doesn't have to be in asset management) then it will still get you looked at provided the rest of your CV looks good. you just have to be able to explain how and why what you've done previously has lead to this AM and why its applicable etc.

If you dont have any financial expeirence then it'll be a little more tricky and would suggest a summer internship (thats just from my experience as when i was able to put on even the simplest previous financial work experience i started to get a lot more interviews etc.). in terms of activities, attend your local finance society, attend the lectures and outside conferences, read some financial books, open a trading account <- these are all the most basic to show that you have an 'interest' in the industry

good luck!!
Original post by tunza1
tbh if you have front office experience (or even middle office, doesn't have to be in asset management) then it will still get you looked at provided the rest of your CV looks good. you just have to be able to explain how and why what you've done previously has lead to this AM and why its applicable etc.

If you dont have any financial expeirence then it'll be a little more tricky and would suggest a summer internship (thats just from my experience as when i was able to put on even the simplest previous financial work experience i started to get a lot more interviews etc.). in terms of activities, attend your local finance society, attend the lectures and outside conferences, read some financial books, open a trading account <- these are all the most basic to show that you have an 'interest' in the industry

good luck!!

Thanks for your help, and good luck to you as well. *
Reply 17
Original post by tunza1
hey guys, anybody else think there's very few opportunities this year compared with previous? so far I have come across several companies where they were offering schemes previously are not now, like:

schroders have already filled their graduate quota for investment roles from their summer interns
aberdeen are only taking on grads who have gone through their summer internships for 2017
can't see anything on T.Rowe and thought they were open around this time last year
UBS dont have ANY technical roles so far this year
neither do BAML (yet)

so far i've applied to the usual suspects (fidelity, baillie gifford, man etc.) but have found it limited outside some of these. I've looked at applying for some equity research roles at IBs but again no luck at places like UBS, RBC, BAML (thats only from the ones i've seen also). I'm really hoping not to intern over the summer with the desperate hope to convert.

I've heard that conversion rates were higher this summer due to smaller intakes at certain places, anyone hear this or experienced what i'm saying?

Hey there. I came to the same conclusions. Usually there are not so many schemes in AM compared to IB but still, this year is really bad. If you look at the 100 biggest AM in the world maybe less than 10% have a graduate program. If you are still able to apply for summer go for it as well, do a mix. I don't have this opportunity unfortunately but I still think it's the best way to get in.

Generally speaking conversion rates were quite bad this summer at the BB (no clue about AM) as revenues were down quite a lot in H1. If on top of that you believe like me that we are closer to the end of the bull market... well I don't see how it could turn better next year.

blackrock?
Reply 19
i would just like to ask if the asset management criteria are any different from those of investment banking. is there anything that a hopeful internship or graduate scheme candidate should do/have done before applying for one that is different from an investment banking application.

would be very grateful if someone could reply.

Quick Reply

Latest