Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Advice for those prepping for Results Day

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

Hi all,

Apologies if there's a more appropriate thread this can go into. (I looked and didn't see anything).

I'm not sure if this is common ground, as I haven't heard of my friends having done it.

The night before my results were released last year, I went onto the telegraph and checked out the openings for courses on Clearing. I researched the courses I was interested in and their entry grades versus what the "worst case scenario" of points I thought I would be opening in the morning.

I wrote these courses down on a document/page with all the contact info of that university. I was hoping that I didn't need this page, but I knew that if my grades didn't go to plan, I would be a crumbling mess unable to keep my thoughts straight and unable to choose a university I had properly thought out.

So, I had a page with several courses, their university, phone number so when it came to the time I didn't get my expected grades, I simply called these already prepared numbers and asked to get into their uni!

For those worrying about results day: Clearing is a beautiful thing. On results day I got 4 offers! One university that I never even thought about rang me just before the 5pm opening time and begged me to join their uni!

Hope that some of you follow this as I definitely think it was the best thing I ever done!

Thanks for your thread. I'm going into clearing too. Just wondering is your chance of getting a place affected depending on what time you receive your results? So basically I have to travel quite far to get my results and then return home to check clearing places (I'll also keep a list of university numbers though). Also, I resat my A levels does anyone know do I have to alter my ucas grades and / or just tell the universities over the phone my new A level grades?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.