Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

UK Father / EU student son

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I am going nuts trying to get a firm indication if my son (Eu born) can obtain a Student loan here in the UK now that he is halfway through studying A levels and will hopefully next year go to Uni in the Uk.
    The rules seem to indicate that applicants must have been here for 3 years prior.
    - while my son remained in Europe until he turned 16 (now 17), while I was divorced from his mother who remains in Eu. I have been resident since 2012 ( born & bred in the UK), but lived a while abroad prior to that, but he is now a full time student here.
    Can anyone shed light on what he is eligible for??

As an Eu student, he can get a tuition fee loan. To get the maintenance loan, he must have lived in the uk at least 5 years before the start of the academic year.

Hi Athaz

As Tiger Rag states, he will be able to apply for the tuition fee loan.

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 9, 2016
Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.