Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

What should be done about Southern trains?

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

Just look at the underground that once had guards on its trains now it dont, the driver shuts the doors. The underground works perfectly well, Southen trains do not need guards on Grater Anglia only a the inter city trains have guards the rest do not and they function well. Sadly train guards are another job that is being replaced my machine or other means ie station staff who multi task.

At the very least, if an opportunity arises for the state to take it over (whether because the company no longer consider it viable, or because the government considers the company incompetent), the state should do so.

(Original post by ByEeek)
    What services? I have never seen a conductor on a Southern Train. They just sit in their cab at the back reading the Sun. I note there have also been a lot of striking by station staff who have been rightly asked to get of their fat backsides in the ticket office and actually interact with and help staff.
    Southern rail staff need to wake up. Lift operators disappeared years ago. There is no need to pay someone £25k+ to press a button every 10 - 20 minutes. Ticket machines are replacing ticket offices. But we do need people on stations and in trains to provide help and information.

It is a farce and it is disgusting how the unions have the railway system over a barrel whilst the consumer pays the price, literally and also in lost time.
    As I've previously said, at least 90% of the trains I've been on have had conductors on. Maybe I should've amended that to say that they were actually, for the most part, doing their job at the time.

Press a button to open doors? Train driver can do that, no qualms there.

Ticket machines? Yeah, if and when they work. You get rid of conductors, you get rid of the only source of tickets when the machines are on their periods and the ticket offices aren't open (which seems to be increasingly common given that they're phasing out offices as they're replaced by ticket machines that are broken half the time).

Barriers? Again, if and when they work. As I've already said, I've had barriers at one of my local stations for a couple of months now, and they're always open. As in, always. What's the point?

So what's your solution for stations that don't even have ticket machines, nevermind barriers? Is there really any point in installing barriers on a station that's in an area populated by more sheep than there are people?

If the ticket machines are broken and there's no conductor, I sure as hell ain't paying a fine when I reach my destination and can't get through the barriers through no fault of my own. So where do I get a ticket from? "Ticket machine was broken, I'll get a ticket as soon as I reach the ticket office?" Yeah, right, I wonder how many times barrier staff have had that problem.

Speaking of barrier staff... again, what's the point? Everyone's so quick to extol the virtues of barriers, but if they actually worked as they're supposed to then why do I always see staff loitering by them?
    You gonna tell me that having the alternative means to buy a ticket and having someone on hand to deploy an access ramp is redundant but needing someone to work in tandem with something that by all definition and construction should be doing the job fine by itself is hunky dory?

(Original post by Drunk Punx)
    As I've previously said, at least 90% of the trains I've been on have had conductors on. Maybe I should've amended that to say that they were actually, for the most part, doing their job at the time.
    But this is the beef stirred up by the unions. They want conductors to continue to do that vitally important pressing of the button where as the train companies want them to sell tickets, meet and greet the customers and generally do more than sit in the rear cab scratching their arse whilst reading the Sun.

Same with the ticket offices. They want the office clerks to get off their fat backsides and go platform side to actually help and assist passengers through barriers and with the ticket machines.

However, the unions are crying foul play and using the tired expression that it "is the thin end of the wedge" and will lead to job losses. Yada yada yada. In reality, the unions have the train operators over a barrel and can do what they like. This is about protecting guards rights to essentially do diddly squat all day for a very handsome wage. To be fair, I would probably fight for that. But in this day and age it doesn't help anyone. Sack the lot of em I say and start from scratch.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.