Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Confused about uni.

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I am often finding myself hoping that I completely screwed up my A levels in order to get out of both my firm and insurance choices, but also badly enough so that clearing doesn't make sense.
    Since applying to Ucas I have lost much of my passion for studying Economics (the subject of my firm choice), and I was never really that passionate about studying Econ at uni in the first place. (I know I should never have applied for this in the first place but the only teacher who would give me any advice was my Econ teacher who was clearly biased, and our careers service was mostly interested in medicine and other NHS careers, so I never really got any advice on what to do.)
    I also really don't want to go through clearing as I could not cope with either a shared bathroom or catered accommodation (I'm the kind of person who really needs my own space and am a really fussy eater), and still don't really know what subject to pursue at uni.
    My parents have basically said that if I don't go to uni this year that I have to get a fulltime job in a place such as McDonalds, and that they'd be taking most of my wages as board.

I have really no clue what to do and am worried I am leaving everything too late, and feel unable to truthfully talk to my parents, as even mentioning the possibility of getting rid of my insurance because I've realised the university isn't what I want (accommodation reasons, amongst others) made them start shouting at me for over an hour.
    Has anyone any advice?

Well for the accommodation, it is possible to find somewhere to rent privately. I'm renting a flat privately myself and it costs about the same as an ensuite room in the halls would.

But don't go to uni if you're unsure on what you want to do. You can just get a job in retail, save up from what your parents leave you from the wages for a deposit and then find a place to rent by yourself. If you work full time you should be able to afford a small flat. Then you'll be able to do what you want without having to answer to your parents and figure out what you want to do and not what your parents want you to do.

I honestly don't think my parents will follow through with much of what they are saying as they always take everything to extremes and then back down, so I am not worried that much over their actions beyond the first day or so, I just don't feel able to discuss things with them.
    I wrote the opening post after an argument with Dad so was feeling slightly annoyed and may have accidentally exaggerated what they are like.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.