Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Japanese Studies 2016

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Hi everyone!

I just finished my first year of Japanese and Business last year and am the Vice - President of the Japan Society at the University of Sheffield coming into the 2016 academic year.

I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has about how the course runs and am looking forward to getting to know new students joining the department in September.

We have a Facebook group here as well which fills up every year after results day.

Hi! I just got accepted onto the course - I can't wait!
    Do you get materials sent to you before the course starts?
    What was your first week like, what classes and things did it consist of?

(Original post by Livvyxo)
    Hi! I just got accepted onto the course - I can't wait!
    Do you get materials sent to you before the course starts?
    What was your first week like, what classes and things did it consist of?
    You are expected to learn Hiragana and Katakana before the course starts. There was a course run by the university last year for a few days before term starts to help complete beginners with learning this, however I'm not sure if it's running this year - keep checking your emails.

In the very first week of class we learned present tense verbs, the particles wa, o, ka, ni/he and de, as well as how to ask and answer simple questions. You have 9 hours of lectures in Japanese language per week and kanji classes start in week 3, learning 10 kanji per week initially although this increases to 20+ per week by week 5. Kanji is mainly a self taught exercise and you need to study a lot outside of class to stay on top of it.

If there's anything else you want to know ask away.

I am looking for some advice. I am currently studying an Access HE humanities course and I'm in the process of putting together a personal statement. I have Sheffield down as one of my choices of preference as I've heard some interesting feed back about the Japanese Studies course.

I came out of education after I finished my A-levels at 18 and from then on worked several different jobs. I was Youth support/charity worker and helped run drama workshops for a period of time locally and worked with those who had special needs and down syndrome - this was before the funding was cut and I ended up in a dead-end retail job and woke up one day and thought I just cannot do this for the rest of my life aha. I have only just gone back into education at 24. It's been a shock more than anything but I've loved every second of it. I'm currently studying History, Criminology, Law and Philosophy. I suffered from some chronic illness during my A-levels so did not perform as good as I would've liked on my exams and have taken an HE course to rectify my previous failures.

Being a 'mature' candidate applying for Japanese Studies what would they look for in a personal statement? I've personally been into Japanese culture since I was very young (around 13) as I found real comfort in Japanese cinema, animation, and literature. I don't have any language experience behind me though but I am definitely dedicated in regards to studying. I only dabbled briefly in German during my GCSE's, but ended up having to drop it as I was taking too many GCSE's at the time.

I just want to produce a decent personal statement and wondered if anyone has any tips? - I was looking into education studies with Japanese at oxford Brookes as well simply because I'd like to go into teaching English as a second language eventually. I know manchester offer a TESOL programme alongside Japanese as a joint but I've really set my heart on either Oxford Brookes or Sheffield.

Any advice would be great!

Thank you.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.