The Student Room Group

AS Level Organisation

I was wondering how many ring binders I should purchase to store work and to transport to/from school? I am doing 4 subjects (Maths, FM, Chemistry and Physics). Should I buy a large folder for each subject and leave them at home, only using a separate folder to transport my work from school or should I buy 3 25mm ring binders and take them every day? Also, which ring system - 2 ring or 4 ring - is more convenient for sixth form?
Original post by Youngey4
I was wondering how many ring binders I should purchase to store work and to transport to/from school? I am doing 4 subjects (Maths, FM, Chemistry and Physics). Should I buy a large folder for each subject and leave them at home, only using a separate folder to transport my work from school or should I buy 3 25mm ring binders and take them every day? Also, which ring system - 2 ring or 4 ring - is more convenient for sixth form?

Hi there, I have just finished my AS levels and thought I would give you what I took during the year. I took biology, chemistry, physics and maths, and I think I bought about 2/3 lever arch files, and 1 small ring binder. I used 2 ring since it was easier for most hole punches. When I got to school, I was actually told we would be doing our maths in books, so I only needed 3 folders, I initially started with the two big lever arch files for chem and bio, and the small ring binder for physics. I personally stuck with these throughout the year, and brought them in each time I had a lesson (it got quite annoying in the end because they got very heavy). I didn't actually have much physics work throughout the year so only needed the ringbinder. I did however have a friend who just had one lever arch and took that to school with all her work for the day, but she did find that if the teacher was to go back on a topic she was missing her work and had to copy up later. Overall, I would probably start by buying a couple of each, as you can always buy more later, and even store revision notes in them. Sorry this is long, and I hope it helps you a bit:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by maya_jadee
Hi there, I have just finished my AS levels and thought I would give you what I took during the year. I took biology, chemistry, physics and maths, and I think I bought about 2/3 lever arch files, and 1 small ring binder. I used 2 ring since it was easier for most hole punches. When I got to school, I was actually told we would be doing our maths in books, so I only needed 3 folders, I initially started with the two big lever arch files for chem and bio, and the small ring binder for physics. I personally stuck with these throughout the year, and brought them in each time I had a lesson (it got quite annoying in the end because they got very heavy). I didn't actually have much physics work throughout the year so only needed the ringbinder. I did however have a friend who just had one lever arch and took that to school with all her work for the day, but she did find that if the teacher was to go back on a topic she was missing her work and had to copy up later. Overall, I would probably start by buying a couple of each, as you can always buy more later, and even store revision notes in them. Sorry this is long, and I hope it helps you a bit:smile:

Thanks so much. That helped immensely. Good luck with Year 13!
Hello there! I've just finished my second year at college.

The subjects I did were quite different from yours (Psychology, English Literature, Film Studies and English Language) but I bought a ring binder for each subject in the first year, which was manageable. Tutors at the college I went to made a big deal of having separate folders for each subject... However four folders took up a lot of room in my bag so I often ended up carrying one or two. I also had plastic button folders for each subject which I mainly used to separate coursework matierals from day to day booklets ect.

In my second year, having dropped Film Studies, I started out with a ring binder for each subject again but then swapped to a lever arch folder for both English subjects and a single ring binder for psychology. I made the mistake of trying to use one lever arch file for all three subjects but there was just too much paperwork😂 Quite often though after finishing modules you can start to leave some of your work at home so your folders will become lighter. If you choose to leave work at home you might want to keep it in a small file to keep it all in order.

My only advise is to stay organised, you'll thank yourself for it when it comes to revising for exams.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest