Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone else get really anxious about meeting their partners family?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I've been with my boyfriend about 7 months. I've met some of his family a handful of times and I don't have anything against them. There's only one person I feel uncomfortable about because she's a high maintenance girlfriend of one of his relatives and he's frequently commented about how attractive he finds her which I find somewhat insensitive as it makes me feel like I'm comparing myself with her. I get a lot of social anxiety when there are family gatherings and I like to be told in advance who will be coming over so I can get myself ready and be prepared for the situation. I was in bed this morning and my boyfriend dropped a bombshell that his family were on their way over and would be here in about twenty minutes. I completely panicked at this as I felt like I looked a mess and didn't want to be hiding in the bedroom so made quick excuses to leave and go to my own family home. He said he was disappointed with me for how I behaved but doesn't seem to understand how stressful I find things like that. I think it was just a fight or flight reaction.

Yeah with my last boyfriend I made excuses not go to his house sometimes as I found the rest of his family to be very intimidating and I could only go round there when either a group of us went or if his family wasn't in. I think he just has to understand that its not as easy as he thinks.

I was slightly anxious about meeting my fiances family but it went pretty well, i met the majority of his extended family at a halloween party so meeting a lot of once made things a bit easier.

7 years on and I still feel on edge meeting some of my partner's family. I get on brilliantly with his aunt's and uncles and see them like my own family but have never been that close with his dad and stepmum. We are civil and they are happy for us getting married soon so that's enough for me and my partner.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was very nervous meeting my boyfriends' parents for the first time and actually hid the first time so I avoided meeting his mother for another 6 months. They thought I hadn't arrived at the boarding house yet.
    When I actually met them I was this close to pooping myself.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.