The Student Room Group

Pharmacy Undergrad just completed first year

Hi all, I was wondering if someone could tell me if I could get a PERMANENT job at a pharmacy during my second year not just work experience (I have finished my first year.) I have seen other students work in a pharmacy (not work exp, permanent positions.) I was wondering what positions these are?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JonTargaryen
Hi all, I was wondering if someone could tell me if I could get a PERMANENT job at a pharmacy during my second year not just work experience (I have finished my first year.) I have seen other students work in a pharmacy (not work exp, permanent positions.) I was wondering what positions are these?

Yup, defintely as a counter assistant (selling OTC products) or dispenser (working in the dispensary with prescription medicines)
Reply 2
Original post by thegodofgod
Yup, defintely as a counter assistant (selling OTC products) or dispenser (working in the dispensary with prescription medicines)

Great, thank you! Are you studying Pharmacy yourself?
Reply 3

I just read that I have to complete a Pharmacy counter assistant course, is this required of me even though i am doing a Pharmacy degree?!
Original post by JonTargaryen
I just read that I have to complete a Pharmacy counter assistant course, is this required of me even though i am doing a Pharmacy degree?!

Yes, just going into my 4th year at Brighton now.

It may be if you go to big chains like Boots / Lloyds etc., but you might be able to get away without it if you go to independent community pharmacies.
Reply 5
Oh right...thank you very much for the info!! It has helped me greatly!

It may be if you go to big chains like Boots / Lloyds etc., but you might be able to get away without it if you go to independent community pharmacies.
Reply 6

Applied for any pre reg places?
Original post by Farmacee
Applied for any pre reg places?

Working on my Pharmalife application, but haven't applied to any community places yet.
Reply 8
Working on my Pharmalife application, but haven't applied to any community places yet.

Cooool. How's your summer been? Any placements etc?
Cooool. How's your summer been? Any placements etc?

My summer's been very busy lol:

Already completed a 4-week summer placement at a large London teaching hospital, and am currently working for 6 weeks as a summer research student at my university with one of my pharmacology lecturers, working on one of his projects that I'm hoping to continue on as my 4th year Masters project. If things go well, we're hoping to get 2 papers out of it.

What about yours?
My summer's been very busy lol:

Already completed a 4-week summer placement at a large London teaching hospital, and am currently working for 6 weeks as a summer research student at my university with one of my pharmacology lecturers, working on one of his projects that I'm hoping to continue on as my 4th year Masters project. If things go well, we're hoping to get 2 papers out of it.

What about yours?

Ah nice!
Mine's been even busier 😩
Been on hospital placements up and down the country since May and will be until the end of Sep. I just can't wait for the pharmalife process to be over haha!!
Ah nice!
Mine's been even busier 😩
Been on hospital placements up and down the country since May and will be until the end of Sep. I just can't wait for the pharmalife process to be over haha!!

Awesome! Mind if I ask how you got so many hospital placements?

How do you get onto a pharmacy counter assistant course?
Awesome! Mind if I ask how you got so many hospital placements?

I was just open to moving and working in different places and spent time on every application ha
Original post by jaffacakes101
How do you get onto a pharmacy counter assistant course?

It was (and still is) integrated into the first year of the MPharm at Brighton

I was just open to moving and working in different places and spent time on every application ha

Awesome :smile:

Just so tired nowadays haha, failing at getting anywhere with pharmalife. I wanna complete it this weekend ha
Yes absolutely, you can be a counter assistant or dispenser, staff do require training for these roles (hence why most adverts ask for an nvq or similar), but if you look on the GPhC website you'll see that students on an MPharm course don't actually need to do a separate course. Some places may still want you to have it though. You should try ringing around and explaining your situation to local pharmacies, and if you don't have any luck with that then try get summer placements and work hard whilst on them, that's how I got my job at Boots, and I know Well sometimes take on summer students too

When I complete the pharmacy counter assistant course will I be able to apply for jobs as a counter assistant and a dispenser?
Original post by demetria
Yes absolutely, you can be a counter assistant or dispenser, staff do require training for these roles (hence why most adverts ask for an nvq or similar), but if you look on the GPhC website you'll see that students on an MPharm course don't actually need to do a separate course. Some places may still want you to have it though. You should try ringing around and explaining your situation to local pharmacies, and if you don't have any luck with that then try get summer placements and work hard whilst on them, that's how I got my job at Boots, and I know Well sometimes take on summer students too

How do I get the training to become a counter assistant/dispenser?
How did you get your summer placement and where was it? :smile:
Original post by jaffacakes101
When I complete the pharmacy counter assistant course will I be able to apply for jobs as a counter assistant and a dispenser?

Yup, going around to independent pharmacies is your best bet :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending