Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Do you need a laptop for engineering?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I am currently using a HP Pavilion g6 i3 and I was wondering if I should get a new laptop for university. Thank you!

I think i would wait until you could identify a specific need - i.e. somewhere that your current PC was deficient, and that would justify the expenditure. When i was an undergraduate, i had to take either an economics course, or a history course to graduate. My undergrad school required two semesters of one or the other. I had one of each. I decided upon the economics course. Unfortunately, the textbook was $55. I was working my way through school, working as a lab assistant in electrical engineering. $55 was about 2 weeks pay for me. I decided that i would wait until i REALLY needed the textbook before i bought it, as i had the old book i had used for my first semester's course in economics - and it was written for a 2 semester course. Well, it turned out that i never did need the other textbook, as the old one covered the second semester course material pretty well. When i told the prof that i'd never bought the book, he was amazed. You may find the same thing on your computer. With the speed at which computer hardware is advancing, what you buy today will be obsolete by the time you graduate. Best of luck in your studies. Cheers.

An i3 should be fine, if not your uni should have computers with i5s or i7s which will do a better job. The main advantage of having a laptop for engineering is the portability of that kind of power, so it's not necessary but it's nice to have. I'd wait and see what the facilities are like and how often you need to use demanding programs which are available for you to download on your own computer before making the investment though.

But yeah if you decide to go for it either buy an i5/i7 ultrathin (whichever is cheapest) or anything with an i7 non-U processor, smaller and longer battery life the better.

As a follow-on, i hold a MSEE in engineering, and i do satellite terminal design for a living. I'm currently using a couple Dell D-620s that i got "off lease" on ebay for about $40 each. I had to put memory and a new hard drive in each one, but that ran me less than $80 total. I find them perfectly satisfactory for designing earth terminals, doing email with my clients, and writing some code [assembly and fortran] occasionally. I'm not a 'gamer' - so i don't need blistering speed and fancy graphics - but the price was right. Cheers.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.