The Student Room Group

University insurance choice help

Hi,

I don't think I'm going to meet the requirements for my firm choice university, and don't think I will want to take up my insurance choice, even if I get an offer. Does anyone know what happens should I not get an offer from my firm uni but get one from my insurance? It doesn't just automatically accept the insurance on UCAS does it?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

If you have accepted a conditional offer for your insurance and meet the requirements it will put you on that course providing you dont meet your firm. You will need to ring up the university and ask them to reject your offer so that you can go into clearing.
Reply 2
Original post by BenGeorge
If you have accepted a conditional offer for your insurance and meet the requirements it will put you on that course providing you dont meet your firm. You will need to ring up the university and ask them to reject your offer so that you can go into clearing.

Thanks for the reply. I understand now but wouldn't it be even easier to just reject it now on track if I'm sure I won't be going there?
Original post by samm98
Thanks for the reply. I understand now but wouldn't it be even easier to just reject it now on track if I'm sure I won't be going there?

I dont think you can reject it on track unless the university has not made a decision to accept or reject you. The only option track stated was to contact the uni to reject you.

https://track.ucas.com/FrequentlyAskedQuestions?questionReference=7_00100
Reply 4
Original post by BenGeorge
I dont think you can reject it on track unless the university has not made a decision to accept or reject you. The only option track stated was to contact the uni to reject you.

https://track.ucas.com/FrequentlyAskedQuestions?questionReference=7_00100

Oh, I see. So do you have to ring up on results day to ask them to withdraw the offer, or could I for example ring them up tomorrow and ask them to?
Original post by samm98
Oh, I see. So do you have to ring up on results day to ask them to withdraw the offer, or could I for example ring them up tomorrow and ask them to?

Yes, you need to do it before otherwise on results day you would officially be on the course so it would be a lot of hassle to get them to reject you and they might even refuse. It is best to do it as soon as possible, just give them a ring and ask politely for them to reject your offer.
Reply 6
Original post by samm98
Hi,

I don't think I'm going to meet the requirements for my firm choice university, and don't think I will want to take up my insurance choice, even if I get an offer. Does anyone know what happens should I not get an offer from my firm uni but get one from my insurance? It doesn't just automatically accept the insurance on UCAS does it?

Thanks

You do automatically take a place at your insurance uni and if they accept you can make you wait (2-3 days at least) before they release you.

If you definitely don't want to go you need to ring them up ASAP before results and ask to be released.
Reply 7
Original post by Aph
You do automatically take a place at your insurance uni and if they accept you can make you wait (2-3 days at least) before they release you.

If you definitely don't want to go you need to ring them up ASAP before results and ask to be released.

2-3 days?! Wow! I'm glad you replied, thanks. I'll certainly be getting on the phone ASAP then because clearing places will have gone by then surely?
Original post by samm98
2-3 days?! Wow! I'm glad you replied, thanks. I'll certainly be getting on the phone ASAP then because clearing places will have gone by then surely?
a lot of courses are already in clearing. As IB grades have been out for awhile as have Btec grades.

My course is already filled up from clearing before as results
Reply 9
Original post by niteninja1
a lot of courses are already in clearing. As IB grades have been out for awhile as have Btec grades.

My course is already filled up from clearing before as results

It's worth remembering tgat it could renter clearing and all its done is filled space from failed IB people.
Original post by samm98

Yeah that's the point, after results they are dealing with clearing themselves as well as a lot of other admin so students who suddenly don't want to go are bottom of the todo list.
Original post by Aph
It's worth remembering tgat it could renter clearing and all its done is filled space from failed IB people.

Yeah that's the point, after results they are dealing with clearing themselves as well as a lot of other admin so students who suddenly don't want to go are bottom of the todo list.

It will enter clearing again after A-level results day but obviously their will be less spaces. And don't forget btec clearing students and adjustment students
Original post by samm98
Hi,

Thanks

In order for the track to be updated before results day you will have to ring all the universities not just your insurance meaning you will have to ask your non insurance choice as well.

And the ones you rejected
Reply 12
It will enter clearing again after A-level results day but obviously their will be less spaces. And don't forget btec clearing students and adjustment students

Adjustment and clearing are (for all intents and purposes) the same. And there is no will or will not. They could end up oversubscribed for example...
Reply 13
In order for the track to be updated before results day you will have to ring all the universities not just your insurance meaning you will have to ask your non insurance choice as well.

I don't understand. Why would I need to contact all my universities about rejecting my insurance? What relevance are they to the offer?
Reply 14

Who told you that? To be perfectly honest that is a load of poppycock. If he simply wants to be released all he needs is to ask the insurance and his rejected ones have no input on that.

So only reject it early if you defeat let don't want to go to your 1st choice as you cannot early reject one without rejecting the other.

Also you may still get in if you miss the grade as their clearing requirements will be lower so if you meet them they may accept you anyway
Reply 16
So only reject it early if you defeat let don't want to go to your 1st choice as you cannot early reject one without rejecting the other.

Also you may still get in if you miss the grade as their clearing requirements will be lower so if you meet them they may accept you anyway

Hold on...you can only withdraw your application for your insurance if you also do for firm? Are you sure? I'm so confused ffs.
Reply 17

First bit is patently untrue.

And second if the definition of insurance, which they don't want to go to so should reject if they are sure
Original post by samm98
Hold on...you can only withdraw your application for your insurance if you also do for firm? Are you sure? I'm so confused ffs.

At best he doesn't know what he's talking about at worse he's deliberately misleading you, don't listen. You can definitely reject your insurance now without rejecting your firm.
Original post by Aph

And second if the definition of insurance, which they don't want to go to so should reject if they are sure

At best he doesn't know what he's talking about at worse he's deliberately misleading you, don't listen. You can definitely reject your insurance now without rejecting your firm.

I tried to I rang UCAS and in order for track to be updated (which is what has to happen) All universities have to "unconfirm" their decisions so it can be changed this does not stop you from re accepting it as your 1st choice.

Call UCAS, if you don't believe me.

Also check if your course is already in clearing as if it is their is a very good chance that you will meet their clearing conditions if you get near the desired grades.
Reply 19
Original post by Aph

Right, thank you a lot for clearing that up, I appreciate it. Think I will phone up my insurance tomorrow or Monday and let them know I don't wish to study there.
Thanks again for the advice, I wish I could rep you more than once haha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending