Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Law vs Law and Politics

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I'm considering taking Law or Law and Politics. I'm hoping to be a solicitor or barrister but am strongly interested and involved in politics. What are the pros and cons of taking law on its own or taking it and politics? And what are some good unis for it? I'm predicted an ABB at A level and a B in the Extended Project

I can't offer any insight into the Universities which you can apply for with those grades. In relation to what the pros and cons would be of taking a law degree as opposed to a law with politics degree, I can give you this advice.

Regardless of whether you choose law or law with politics, you will (almost definitely) receive a qualifying law degree. This means both options will allow you to become a solicitor or barrister with the requisite additional training so long as you select the core law modules necessary to achieve a qualifying law degree.

There are many people who are solicitors and barristers who did not, in fact, do a law degree: you will not be at any disadvantage if you choose law with politics over straight law. In fact, you should choose whatever you think will interest you more and lead to the best results — those are the most important factors in this decision.

Finally, the one advantage of doing a straight law degree is this: you will have a greater choice of law modules. Generally, a law with politics module will leave you with minimal, if any, choice as to what modules you do. Most, if not all, will be compulsory. However, if you do a straight law degree you will have a significant degree of choice in terms of what modules you choose, particularly in your second and third years. The advantage of this is that you get to explore topics and modules which fall outside of the core qualifying modules. For example, a law with politics degree is unlikely to provide you with the opportunity to study company, commercial or family law. These modules are optional modules and you will not likely have many optional choices doing a combined honours degree. If you are thinking of focusing on a particular area of law which falls outside of the core modules you should consider this factor when making your decision.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.