The Student Room Group

Australia vs UK - Comparison

Those who have experienced the life in both countries or have knowledge in this matter, how do you compare Australia (specifically South Australia) and UK in terms of:

1) Climate (is it really too hot in australia?)
2) Wages
3) Lifestyle

One more question, why so many people from UK wish to move to Australia?
i swear some of the reasons are obvious:
-some Brits do hate their stereotypical "grey skies" weather
-some Brits do hate how the country appears to be overrun by loads of non-English speakers
-some Brits do think Australia have so many things better to offer than Britain
Hot weather is something which I dont like at all, but I heard its not unbearably hot specifically talking about South Australia. I heard summers are warm to hot, meaning its not extremely hot there in South Australia.
Reply 3
Australian spiders are bigger:

Reply 4
Original post by Warrior Gene

better weather, better prospects, better money. more spacious, less people, nice beaches and big houses for a good price. These are the reasons I'm guessing people will give.

Only downsides are the accent (sorry but not a fan) and the fact that they will never have a cold Christmas. Thats why I have no desire to live there. I mean it does look very heavenly so I can understand the appeal but... Christmas in the summer is just not Christmas. and i looooove the cold weather
Reply 5
Australia has a higher cost of living than the UK so the minimum wage there isn't much better than the UK's. Plus, housing prices aren't cheaper than the UK on average, although they are cheaper than London. Overall, Australia isn't much cheaper than the UK, even after you factor in incomes. Immigrants that come to Australia also tend to be wealthier and in professional jobs than those coming to the UK because of their policies so that's why the Asians there have big houses. My relatives there all have pretty big houses from the pictures I've seen haha
(edited 7 years ago)
USA all the way! Come to a nice, yet cheap suburb here and you'll love it. Just avoid the *****y parts of some inner cities.

USA!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Allie4
better weather, better prospects, better money. more spacious, less people, nice beaches and big houses for a good price. These are the reasons I'm guessing people will give.

Only downsides are the accent (sorry but not a fan) and the fact that they will never have a cold Christmas. Thats why I have no desire to live there. I mean it does look very heavenly so I can understand the appeal but... Christmas in the summer is just not Christmas. and i looooove the cold weather

Yes I love the cold too and this is worrisome because everyone says Australia is very hot :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by cashcash871
USA all the way! Come to a nice, yet cheap suburb here and you'll love it. Just avoid the *****y parts of some inner cities.

USA!

Only if you pay me!
Original post by IYGB
Only if you pay me!

Honestly it's a great place. It gets such a bad rep overseas but it's a great place to live. I've lived in both the eh Uk and the US and they're both great but the US edges it imo
Hot weather is something which I dont like at all, but I heard its not unbearably hot specifically talking about South Australia. I heard summers are warm to hot, meaning its not extremely hot there in South Australia.

I have a mate who studies in Australia, the summers are so hot that he returns to Singapore to get away from the heat. So it's extremely hot.
Original post by Helloworld_95
I have a mate who studies in Australia, the summers are so hot that he returns to Singapore to get away from the heat. So it's extremely hot.

another bad news :frown:
Those who have experienced the life in both countries or have knowledge in this matter, how do you compare Australia (specifically South Australia) and UK in terms of:

1) Climate (is it really too hot in australia?)
2) Wages
3) Lifestyle

I know that people in Sydney moan about exactly the same things that people in London moan about.

Overcrowding, high property prices, traffic, jobs
yeah people say these about every popular destination.

Quick Reply

Latest