The Student Room Group

Motivation going down the drain...

Someone please tell me how to stay motivated to revise throughout this summer and in Year 13 :/ ?? As soon as I get back to school in September there are going to be mocks to determine my predicted grades, and those predicted grades are what will get me into uni. As hard as I'm trying to get off my ass and revise, I just feel so chilled out and just cba to do anything. Don't get me wrong, I understand the importance of A Levels and how I'll regret it later on in life if I don't get my **** together now but I literally have no motivation. I'm the kind of person who has been working hard at school since Year 7 (when you didn't even need to work hard at that stage!) and now I'm just burnt out and all I want to do is laze around. Someone please help !
I would suggest taking a few more days off, to recharge your batteries. Then, work out how much time you've got until your mocks, check what you've got to revise, and then make a plan of how long you're going to spend revising each subject.

When I was in year 13, I lost my motivation almost completely! I was very unhappy and just couldn't find the energy or willpower to revise, even for my best subject. Eventually I got so desperate that I decided to make a revision timetable, and it worked! I'd left my revision very late, just a week or two before my real exams! My timetable worked out that for one of my subjects, I only had one day to revise (2 modules in one day, the third on the morning of the exam). However, by using my timetable, I DID manage to revise, although not as thoroughly as I would've done if I had been motivated. I truly believe that having the timetable helped me, as breaking the topics down into little sections to revise at a time made it seem less overwhelming!

I hope you find some way to combat your lack of motivation soon. If I can do it, you can too! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I really feel bad for you. I'm completely burnt out after my AS exams. I know I would really struggle if I had to revise for mock exams as soon as I go back. Just try to remind yourself that this will probably be the hardest you will ever have to work in your life. Just squeeze a bit more out.
Original post by Leviathan1741
I would suggest taking a few more days off, to recharge your batteries. Then, work out how much time you've got until your mocks, check what you've got to revise, and then make a plan of how long you're going to spend revising each subject.

When I was in year 13, I lost my motivation almost completely! I was very unhappy and just couldn't find the energy or willpower to revise, even for my best subject. Eventually I got so desperate that I decided to make a revision timetable, and it worked! I'd left my revision very late, just a week or two before my real exams! My timetable worked out that for one of my subjects, I only had one day to revise (2 modules in one day, the third on the morning of the exam). However, by using my timetable, I DID manage to revise, although not as thoroughly as I would've done if I had been motivated. I truly believe that having the timetable helped me, as breaking the topics down into little sections to revise at a time made it seem less overwhelming!

I hope you find some way to combat your lack of motivation soon. If I can do it, you can too! :smile:
A revision timetable seems like a really good idea! The thing is, knowing me I probably will stop following it after a few days :/ Any tips on how to stick to it every day?
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I really feel bad for you. I'm completely burnt out after my AS exams. I know I would really struggle if I had to revise for mock exams as soon as I go back. Just try to remind yourself that this will probably be the hardest you will ever have to work in your life. Just squeeze a bit more out.

Yeah you're right :h: I'll try to keep that in mind, thank you :biggrin: !
Original post by samirahbegum
A revision timetable seems like a really good idea! The thing is, knowing me I probably will stop following it after a few days :/ Any tips on how to stick to it every day?

When I created my timetable, I made it in the form of a table, and included a Done column where I ticked off each topic I revised. For some reason it made me stressed if I didn't stick to the timetable and had gaps in the ticks, and that encouraged me to get on and revise :tongue:

To make it less overwhelming, I'd also suggest structuring it by day, rather than time. For example, revise topics a b and c on Monday, d, e f and g on Tuesday, and so on, instead of revise topic a between 11am and 1pm, topic b between 1.30pm and 3pm etc. Revising by day takes some of the anxiety out of it as you don't have to think 'I need to hurry up and revise this topic before the time runs out and I have to move on', if you find that a topic is taking longer than you expected to get through.

I hope that made sense :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
When I created my timetable, I made it in the form of a table, and included a Done column where I ticked off each topic I revised. For some reason it made me stressed if I didn't stick to the timetable and had gaps in the ticks, and that encouraged me to get on and revise :tongue:

To make it less overwhelming, I'd also suggest structuring it by day, rather than time. For example, revise topics a b and c on Monday, d, e f and g on Tuesday, and so on, instead of revise topic a between 11am and 1pm, topic b between 1.30pm and 3pm etc. Revising by day takes some of the anxiety out of it as you don't have to think 'I need to hurry up and revise this topic before the time runs out and I have to move on', if you find that a topic is taking longer than you expected to get through.

I hope that made sense :smile:

Ahhh those are some really great tips, thank you so much ! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by samirahbegum
Ahhh those are some really great tips, thank you so much ! :biggrin: :biggrin:

You're welcome, best of luck :h:

Quick Reply

Latest