The Student Room Group

Need Advice For A Level Subjects!

So I just finished my GCSE's and now I'm going into my AS Levels but I don't know what subjects to do. I want to keep my options as open as possible but to do that it seems like you need to pick every Science and Maths which is impossible... I came up with a few subjects that I could do but I need advice as to what I could change to give me a better chance to get into a good uni.

A-Levels: - Biology (definite)
- Maths/Chemistry (I don't know!)
- No idea...
AS Level: - Psychology

Do you guys have any idea as to what I could take for my third A-Level, and which is better to do and harder to do? Maths or Chemistry? I suck at both of them but I need to pick one or the other to keep my options open...

Any advice would be helpful, I don't know what to pick as I don't want it to be too hard, as I need to get good grades.

I would generally like to do something Science-related at uni but have no idea what it could be.

Thanks! :smile:
What were your favourite and most confident subjects at GCSE?
Original post by Yagami Lightuh
So I just finished my GCSE's and now I'm going into my AS Levels but I don't know what subjects to do. I want to keep my options as open as possible but to do that it seems like you need to pick every Science and Maths which is impossible... I came up with a few subjects that I could do but I need advice as to what I could change to give me a better chance to get into a good uni.

- No idea...

Do you guys have any idea as to what I could take for my third A-Level, and which is better to do and harder to do? Maths or Chemistry? I suck at both of them but I need to pick one or the other to keep my options open...

Any advice would be helpful, I don't know what to pick as I don't want it to be too hard, as I need to get good grades.

I would generally like to do something Science-related at uni but have no idea what it could be.

Considering you want to science at uni it would be best to take chemistry, however taking maths really does keep your options over. Also you said you wasn't good at either, which will be a problem especially for chemistry as it is much harder than gcse chemistry. It best to take what your good and what you will enjoy. I reccomend you take a look at some a level chemistry and maths to get an idea of what it's about

Also what are your predicted grades that you think your got in your exams?
(edited 7 years ago)
do not pik psychology i repeat do not pik psychology retreet retreeet i repeet (i aint no F grade studeint so trist mi)
Reply 4
Why is it impossible to do all science and maths?

- No idea...

If you want to keep your options completely open, picking a range of subjects may be a good idea (i.e. one science, one essay-based subject, one other subject, etc...); but if you know what sort of area you want to go into/what you want to study at uni, it's important to look up the grade requirements for those course and take the subjects that they require. If you want to do something science related, have a look at some unis you might be interested in and get an idea of the sort of subjects (and grades) they want for different science courses. :smile:

Do you guys have any idea as to what I could take for my third A-Level, and which is better to do and harder to do? Maths or Chemistry? I suck at both of them but I need to pick one or the other to keep my options open... Any advice would be helpful, I don't know what to pick as I don't want it to be too hard, as I need to get good grades

...I wouldn't recommend taking a subject you 'suck' at in GCSE level, if you already find it hard and don't enjoy the subject then you will most likely find it very, very difficult (compared to taking a subject that you are already good at/enjoy) - remember both Maths and Chemistry are both seen as very hard subjects to start with, and a lot of sixth forms will only allow you to do these subjects if you have a good GCSE grade in them.
Reply 6

- No idea...

I have just finished GCSE's too, and was originally taking Biology, Chemistry, and statistics for my A levels. I also would like to pursue something science related at uni but have no clue what, i have always enjoyed maths and so decided to take stats but chemistry is a bit of a funny one, i'm not too interested in it, although i did some research and you mainly need two hard sciences to take a medical/science based course at uni, stats & biology count towards these. On the induction day that my college held i decided to change chemistry for Pe which is a subject i enjoyed at GCSE. It's hard to pick but you have got to just go with what you enjoy at the end of the day.

GL dude :smile:
Reply 7
I don't see why you couldn't do maths, chemistry, biology and psychology. This way you have almost all biological courses, chemistry courses, natural sciences courses and psychology courses open. If you're worried about the workload, well, any A level would have a lot of workload anyway and it's better to do what you enjoy than to do what's considered "easier" because if you enjoy something you'll naturally put more work in. It depends whether you enjoy chemistry and/or maths though, yes they are difficult especially if you don't enjoy them.
Reply 8
Which part of science are you most interested in? Maths would be very important if you want to do physics or engineering at university, and it's still quite important for the other sciences. If possible, taking both maths and chemistry might be a good idea.
What subjects do you enjoy? It's important to pick things that you're interested in since you'll need to be motivated to study hard during sixth form.
Original post by Makhib19
What were your favourite and most confident subjects at GCSE?

I liked Biology and English Lit a lot and I was good at them, as well as ICT and Citizenship. But the problem is that these subjects are so varied and different from one another that if I pick them in A Level I'm not going to meet the requirements of any certain degree, I'll just have a bunch of random subjects. So yeah, I dunno... :s-smilie:
Original post by Hashtosh302
Considering you want to science at uni it would be best to take chemistry, however taking maths really does keep your options over. Also you said you wasn't good at either, which will be a problem especially for chemistry as it is much harder than gcse chemistry. It best to take what your good and what you will enjoy. I reccomend you take a look at some a level chemistry and maths to get an idea of what it's about

Also what are your predicted grades that you think your got in your exams?

I'm predicted all A's and A*'s but for my own prediction I think I slipped up in my C3 exam and could have got a B overall in that.
I'm predicted all A's and A*'s but for my own prediction I think I slipped up in my C3 exam and could have got a B overall in that.

Your predicted A and A*'s but you suck at maths and chemistry?
Original post by Hashtosh302
Your predicted A and A*'s but you suck at maths and chemistry?

Well... GCSE Maths is like... simple. I looked at an A Level Maths book and it's literally :zomg: I'm good at GCSE Maths but what I mean to say is that when I look at anything to do with A Level Maths I'm literally like "da*** is this?!" Same with Chemistry. I can get an A in it, but I don't think I can do nearly as well in A Level Chemistry. I don't even know.
First i recommend you think about what you want to do in the future, and then look at university courses and look at the entry requirement, they might need you to take specific subjects (maths is usually required for most courses).

With maths if you do all the past papers and solomon papers (these extra tricky papers) and watch Examsolutions/hegarty maths you have a good chance at getting an A or at least a B, but that might not be the same for chem. Even if you do really well at chem at GCSE don't take it as a 'filler' subject, so don't just take it because you don't know what to do, like although i got full ums/90+ in my chem modules at GCSE i still wouldn't take it for A-Level from seeing that my friends found it quite tricky (and they're much better at sciences than me). Study chemistry if you really like it and want a science related career, because this way you will be motivated to learn, and not mind how difficult it is. But, even maths at A2 is harder, and if you're not good at maths at GCSE and need a tutor then it'll be even worst... You'll just have to study more, and learn the content before class, then you'll do fine.

Quick Reply

Latest