The Student Room Group

Will I be able to cope

Just before school finished, after exams, I got a job at sainsburys. I am doing 15.25 hours per week. Will I be able to cope with that, along with year 13, (Maths, Further Maths, Computing), learning to drive and having a girlfriend.

I want to drop one of my 3 days at Sainsburys but I don't know if they would let me.
Reply 1
I'm not speaking from experience at all, just theory and what I know of others, but I think you may be able to manage. It all goes down to the individual, how much you need to study, how long you spend commuting, what your grades are like, how many lessons you're taking, what you're relationship's like etc.

Nobody can tell you for sure, it's something you have to work out for yourself. I suggest staying on. Worst case scenario, you can't keep up and have to leave and find a similar job elsewhere.
Oh lord, I struggled to find time to eat when I was at college and had a job. I was doing 16 hours 4 hours on 4 days and wasn't able to drop a day
Original post by M451
I'm not speaking from experience at all, just theory and what I know of others, but I think you may be able to manage. It all goes down to the individual, how much you need to study, how long you spend commuting, what your grades are like, how many lessons you're taking, what you're relationship's like etc.

Nobody can tell you for sure, it's something you have to work out for yourself. I suggest staying on. Worst case scenario, you can't keep up and have to leave and find a similar job elsewhere.

Im quite the worrier as it is, I get stressed about a lot of things. I could do it but feel my grades may be worse than they could do and I will feel a little depressed. I know people have it worse but really I think in life you've just got to do what makes you happy. Ill see how it goes, thanks for the advice.
Original post by amingo26
Oh lord, I struggled to find time to eat when I was at college and had a job. I was doing 16 hours 4 hours on 4 days and wasn't able to drop a day

Yeah it is tough. Especially because the worst is the end of my week so throughout the whole week I'm worrying about that because I have to go to sixth from friday morning. Go straight to work, get in around 9:30, sleep at about 10:30 then work 6 hour in the morning the next day. It seems like from thursday evening I dont get a rest until saturday afternoon which is hard to deal with mentally. Especailly when during that time school work is building up.
Reply 5
Well...i think you should be fine...but it all depends on the individual.

I was going to college fulltime (18hr's a week) , whilst working at-least 35 - 40 hours a week at work, being in a relationship , and doing my driving lessons. I coped fairly well tbh!. I mean don't get me wrong, there were moments where i felt extremely exhausted, and wondered how i'd be able to get my college work done. But some how, i managed to get through.

My attendance was 99% and punctuality of 98%, as-well as maintaining consistency top grades.
I know I wouldn't be able to cope, but I do procrastinate a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest