The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should women be allowed to go topless?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kangsterf
But it's not a sexual organ at all. A woman's breasts are just lumps of fat with nipples on them, surely not sexual?

my hairy arse isn't a sexual organ either, can i walk around with that out too?
Has anyone thought of asking women if they want to go topless anywhere they don't already? Pervs... :biggrin:
No. Women should not be allowed to go topless, that's barbaric.
Original post by TercioOfParma
Female breasts are sexual in the extreme, whereas a man's chest is far less so.

Loads of cultures don't view the female breasts as sexual, in pre-colonial african or american cultures for example they just view them as...well... lumps for feeding babies.

To me the sexualisation of breasts by mostly heterosexual men is a fetish, just like feet as well.

If a woman feels comfortable going topless, let her be topless. I know stuff like that can give men like me boners, just like exposed feet or bellies or thigh but like the breast, it doesn't mean I have the right to touch those parts inappropriately or unconsentually. That's why the idea a woman should cover up becuase some men can't control their dicks is kinda stupid.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Zargabaath
my hairy arse isn't a sexual organ either, can i walk around with that out too?

Why not?
Original post by the beer
Why not?

Pls don't encourage him
No they should not! This shouldn't even be a question.
Original post by Emerald7770
No they should not! This shouldn't even be a question.

You should start a petition to get the law changed.
You should start a petition to get the law changed.

I don't think it's legal
Original post by Emerald7770
I don't think it's legal

Course it is.
Course it is.

NO. The women police will get angry and then start shooting the chicken breasts
Why not?

I think that their is a certain line of decency and modesty which should not be crossed.Everyhing's not a competition that if men can do it then women can too. And no,no one should walk naked with a furball of an arse.
Sure.....but when I'm with my family....things would get too awkward lol can't say the same about others and their families doe
I think it should either be legal for both genders to go topless or illegal for both genders to go topless.

As someone who is quite flat chested it annoys me when it's a very hot day and I'm trapped in a t-shirt, while the guys around me are allowed to take theirs off.

Breasts are sexual because we've made them that way. They exist to suckle babies. If they were inherently sexual, there would be no culture in which the woman was free to walk topless.

Just because it's legal doesn't mean you have to do it. Even making it socially acceptable to walk around in a bra would be an improvement. If it's OK to wear a bra at the beach it should be OK to wear one elsewhere.

Otherwise, let's get the men to cover up and we can all get heatstroke together.
Pros:
-Women who want to get their boobs out can do
-I can see boobs

Cons:
-......?????

Let em 'ave it
Only in areas generally accepting of nudity. Breasts are inherently sexual - they evolved as a result of sexual selection and serve little purpose other than to signal to men that a woman is a desirable (or in some cases, less desirable!) mate. No other primates have permanent breasts and they are not at all necessary for lactation. In general I believe it's right that sexuality is a private matter and that those who want to walk the streets or visit the beach without being subjected to it are entitled to do so.
Original post by arizonaidiot
I think that their is a certain line of decency and modesty which should not be crossed.

Sure, i don't agree that women going topless in public or an exposed hairy arse necessarily cross that line though and the law agrees so theres only really the opinion of prudes to worry about.
Reply 137
Can't really see a serious argument against nudity besides 'I don't like it'
Original post by kangsterf
Like on beaches and other places where men can be topless. If not, why not?

I mean, men often go topless and I know most women wouldn't want to do this but some of them clearly do, as shown by some of the GoTopless protests and stuff like that. Why not give them the right to choose whether they do?

I personally couldn’t care less about people’s lack of clothing worn on men or women as long as there isn’t some sinister reason like those people in the flasher macs etc.
What is fascinating is the huge change in mores, which I suspect most on here are totally unaware of.

Thirty years ago, topless beaches were the norm throughout Southern Europe. The Costas, the Riviera, Italy, the Greek Islands. On a really sunny day babes would even go topless on Clapham Common. It was how it was, few people turned a hair.

Now it is very uncommon indeed, although you do still see it now and then. And we get a thread like this which would have been unthinkable in the previous generation.

Why? Who knows, really, it is impossible to prove in any way. My theory, though, is that it is, in part at least, a by product of the huge Muslim immigration into Europe over the same period.

And that we won't be seeing much topless sunbathing in Europe, if it survives at all, in the future. So the debate is moot.

Latest

Trending

Trending