Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Let's stop dabbling and let's get fracking.

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

Good points, I definitely agree that we should "get fracking". As we need that for petrol etc. But for our electricity, I think we should definitely move to nuclear energy, because that way the price of electricity is able to stay level. Also, they should use thorium as the radioactive element for this process.

(Original post by TercioOfParma)
    It depends I think, these things do break, and sometimes quite quickly. It takes a lot of steel to make a wind turbine.
    How many tonnes of coal or litres of gas etc. to make a wind turbine vs. the thousands of tonnes and milliones of litres to fire a gas/coal power station every year...

(Original post by skeptical_john)
    I don't know if you've ever seen any of these 'vast swathes' for yourself but they are barren, lifeless wastelands. Farmed to death in most parts by sheep and weak farming methods.
    That tends to be what the wilderness looks like. I'd hardly suggest any of thme were in any way intensively farmed. Having some sheep running about is hardly detrimental.

(Original post by L i b)
    Don't give a ****? Except for the billions of pounds worth of renewables subsidies, I assume...

The Renewables Obligation and Contracts for Difference effectively do what you're suggesting in a coherent way.
    Yes, they don't give a ****.

Renewable funding has been impacted by bugget cuts at the same time as financial and tax incentives are given to fracking companies. The previous Conservative led government had a fracking industry lobbyist advising them on energy policy at one point (David Howell, the one who made controversial comments about the north), so you've got conflicts of interest going on as well.

Their lack of care for the environment isn't just limited to fracking either. Like the time the government opposed the EU's restrictions on neonicotinoids for no scientifically or environmentally valid reasons, instead choosing to side with the pesticide companies.

Or the time they put a climate change denier as environment secretary.

Or the time they decided the solution to the Somerset floods was just to dredge rivers, when there is plenty of evidence that suggests otherwise.

Or the Oaken wood case, where the Conservative Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government approved quarry expansion because he felt ancient woodland, a rare and valuable habitat, was somehow less important than some rock aggregates.

Or the time they refused to ban possession of carbofuran, a poison with no legal use which is used by some gamekeepers to illegally kill protected birds of prey.

Or how they failed to act on ash dieback - it was discovered in a nursery early on in the year (think it was 2013), but it wasn't until Autumn, when the disease was spreading (i.e. too late) that they looked at import restrictions (imported ash seedlings were helping the spread).

Or the time they tried to sell off Forestry Commission forests, and only backed down due to massive public pressure.

The Conservatives have a very poor record on the environment, and I've yet to see anything from them which suggests genuine concern or understanding.

That tends to be what the wilderness looks like. I'd hardly suggest any of thme were in any way intensively farmed. Having some sheep running about is hardly detrimental.
    Not really. Wilderness is supposed to be wild, with minimal human intervention. A farmed landscape like we see in this country is not truly wilderness. And having too many sheep wandering about can be detrimental if your aim is something like woodland regeneration (I'm talking about free roaming upland sheep here, not your typical sheep fields).
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.