The Student Room Group

Uni at 35, married and have a child..can it be done?

Hi everyone,

I am 35 years old, married and have a 2 month old child and I'm looking to go to Plymouth University to study Computer systems & networks.

What i'm after from yourselves is to find out what kind of financial help i could get as I'll be giving up my full time job?

My wife is currently on statutory maternity leave and will be going back to work full time at the end of January.

Has anybody else done this before?
Reply 1
Original post by addychad
Hi everyone,

I am 35 years old, married and have a 2 month old child and I'm looking to go to Plymouth University to study Computer systems & networks.

What i'm after from yourselves is to find out what kind of financial help i could get as I'll be giving up my full time job?

My wife is currently on statutory maternity leave and will be going back to work full time at the end of January.

Has anybody else done this before?

Get an estimate of your entitlement here:
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

A note of caution that I would sound, is that Student Finance is intended to make a contribution towards your living costs whilst at uni. Even for the standard 18 year old, it may not cover all of your costs. Certainly, it is pitched at someone looking to rent a room in a shared student house. It's very unlikely to cover the majority of the rent or mortgage on a family home. I guess it depends how much your wife earns - although your SF will be reduced, depending on her wages. I had to pay off my mortgage and build up some savings before I could afford to go to uni in my 40s.

Also, beware that the threshold for childcare funds seems to be pretty high. Online calculators will not tell you whether you qualify for it - they will tell you what you'd get *if* you were entitled to it. Worth looking into in more detail before making plans based on getting it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending