The Student Room Group

Would a freebie sway your choice of uni?

Lots of press coverage today for Sheffield Uni's 'bogof' offer: a free Master's if you do your degree there.

Other unis have made headlines for offering everything from free iPads to free Leicester City match tickets.

Would any of this persuade you to change your choice of uni? What's your price when picking the place you're going to study?

Maybe you've already been offered a freebie - or have blagged a good deal with your bargaining skills...?

Scroll to see replies

It depends what you count as a 'freebie'. I got offered a lot of bursaries and scholarships from Newcastle - three times as much as I would have got from some of the other unis I applied to - which had a small influence on my decision
Reply 2
If it was a free girlfriend then yes
Well I was given a foldable frisbee from Keele University, and that definitely didn't influence my decision to study there :lol:
With Sheffield what seems to be missed amongst all the opprobrium, is that this BOGOF is for AAA students only. Personally, I think this is more of a reflection of the challenges faced by universities in attracting British students onto PG courses than UG.
No, it wouldn't sway me. It makes the university look desperate and leads me to conclude that the university in question must be rubbish if it can't attract students on merit.
Only really if it was money to help with living costs. I can't think of anything else that would sway me... Maybe if they said that I could definitely go there as long as I made them my first choice didn't get 3 Us? :tongue:

I wouldn't be swayed by a tuition fee waiver either.
Reply 7
The free Master's degree is honestly starting to tempt me, even though I've been in University for 3 years already!
No.
All I ever get are pens :colonhash:
I would be seriously tempted. But I'd want to know in full what the terms of the masters were. i.e. does it have to be a similar subject to that of my UG choice or something completely different and when do I get to choose.

Studying a masters is a brilliant opportunity and a lot more meaningful than getting a free iPad or even discounted accommodation for first year.
(edited 7 years ago)
I can just use my sonic screwdriver to get masses of cash out of a cash machine, so no real need for incentives. Also, given I am The Doctor, I already know pretty much everything, so university is fairly redundant.
Original post by Another
The free Master's degree is honestly starting to tempt me, even though I've been in University for 3 years already!

You can get a free master's by studying in Europe. :u:
Original post by Snufkin
You can get a free master's by studying in Europe. :u:

Dammit Brexit! How long can we delay Article 50 for?
Original post by AppleB
No.
All I ever get are pens :colonhash:

Or wristbands. That's what I got when I went to Nottingham :colonhash:
If it helped with my living costs (so free accomo for a year or something), then I'd put it down gladly. But not for something like free ipads or tickets to a football game.
If it would reduce my fees or debt in any way, I would be extremely tempted.
Hell no
Reply 17
Don't most unis off the a masters discount to continuing students anyway?
Anyway unless it was something like a free house or something like that then no it wouldn't sway me.
Reply 18
It wouldn't influence my decision at all. Academic reputation, course structure and career prospects after my degree are far more superior in the decision making process than freebies any day of the week, at least for me anyway :biggrin:
Maybe , but only to the extent of its relative worth to me. Just another thing to factor in. the Sheffield one being a notional 10k if applicable is a bit more substantial than an ipad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending