Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Failed a module - second year.

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

I have taken 4 core modules this year - Land Law, EU Law, Tort Law, and Equity & Trusts. I passed the first three but failed Equity & Trusts (31%). I'm retaking it soon (in a week or so). I'm really scared I won't pass it a second time. The first time I took my second year exams this May, I was very confident about the Equity exam, and I hated EU law the most, but as it turns out I did good in EU law (68%) and failed Equity. I felt I did good in the Equity exam after I did it but obviously I did not. I got feedback from the lecturer which is helpful but I can't help feeling that I'll fail my resit. The resit is also capped at 40% . Does anyone have any advice on taking the Equity exam? Preferably someone with similar experience. I'm revising but I'm currently very upset with my situation. This is my first time resitting any exam in uni. And before you ask, I really did try hard for these exams.

Thank you.

I struggled with equity mainly because I just found it hard to engage with. I thought I'd done terribly in the exam but it turned out to be my best exam so my advice would be:

Learn your case law as much as you can. Although you wont get marks for facts, I find the principles much easier to understand and explain if I understand the facts. I also try to make links with the case names and the point I will use them to make.

Create answer plans or structures. These shouldn't be so rigid that only a certain question would fit what you've prepared but they should help you to tackle any question, whether it be essay or problem, in a methodical, logical way.

Try to find some academic opinion. Read a few journals to get some opinions that would fit with your conclusions. Critical analysis is a great way of picking up an extra few marks.

As nerve wracking as it is, try to relax a bit. Prepare as much as you can and get plenty of sleep the night before the exam. Good luck
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.