The Student Room Group

I want to move to Canada for university

Hi, I'm 16 and expecting my GCSE results on the 25th August 2016, I'm interested in Pharmacy or Dentistry. I have been to Canada twice, and the most recent time I stayed for 8 weeks and I much prefer it to England.I do not like England, but I enjoy Canada as most of my family is there.I am planning on doing my A levels in England and then possibly study dentistry in Canada (Vancouver) to be exact. Once I complete university I would like to live in Canada anyway.Question 1, What would I need to do to move to Canada?Question 2, How would I apply to university in Canada, how would my A -Level results work in application?Question 3, would it be better to apply to a UK university and apply for a exchange programme to a Canadian University?Thank You.
Reply 1
Original post by arrongill12345
Hi, I'm 16 and expecting my GCSE results on the 25th August 2016, I'm interested in Pharmacy or Dentistry. I have been to Canada twice, and the most recent time I stayed for 8 weeks and I much prefer it to England.I do not like England, but I enjoy Canada as most of my family is there.I am planning on doing my A levels in England and then possibly study dentistry in Canada (Vancouver) to be exact. Once I complete university I would like to live in Canada anyway.Question 1, What would I need to do to move to Canada?Question 2, How would I apply to university in Canada, how would my A -Level results work in application?Question 3, would it be better to apply to a UK university and apply for a exchange programme to a Canadian University?Thank You.

Hi, I've moved your post to a more appropriate forum. Also have you researched how you can pay the tuition fees and living costs in Canada.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you. Yes I've researched this slightly but I am stuck on how my A Level Results will work while applying to university in Canada ?
Reply 3
Thank you. Yes I've researched this slightly but I am stuck on how my A Level Results will work while applying to university in Canada ?

Sorry but I've no idea... do any of the universities you are considering mention A-levels?

Also have a look at
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=1206-study-in-canada

Posted from TSR Mobile
A levels are accepted by Canadian universities but I do not know what is required to be accepted
Reply 5
A levels are accepted by Canadian universities but I do not know what is required to be accepted

As I said, check with the universities. You would have to do the same checks if you were applying to a UK university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have not been able to find anything on Canadian A level equivalents, yet. Thank you though.
Reply 7
I have not been able to find anything on Canadian A level equivalents, yet. Thank you though.

Contact the universities direct

eg.
https://uwaterloo.ca/pharmacy/future-students/frequently-asked-questions/international-students

Canadian universities seem to be pretty easy to get in to, from what I've seen.

My friend's going to Waterloo (probably the best Canadian uni for Electrical Engineering [his course]) and he only needs AABB
Wow, that's good!
I am interested in studying Dentistry or Pharmacy at University of British Columbia, I'm not sure if I'll get in, I think at A Level I can get AAB, what'd you think?
I have tried to find somewhere to contact university of British Columbia but I can't, I read somewhere that they don't take international students for dentistry, do you think this is true?!
Wow, that's good!
I am interested in studying Dentistry or Pharmacy at University of British Columbia, I'm not sure if I'll get in, I think at A Level I can get AAB, what'd you think?

I'm not sure what the reqs are for those 2 courses, but I know UBC is about the same, if not easier than Waterloo, to get accepted at
okay, thank you for your help!
Reply 13
I have tried to find somewhere to contact university of British Columbia but I can't, I read somewhere that they don't take international students for dentistry, do you think this is true?!

https://pharmsci.ubc.ca/programs/entry-practice-pharmd-degree/admissions-and-finances/how-apply

"SELECTION PROCESS
UBC will extend offers of admission to approximately 224 well-qualified students who demonstrate the academic potential and motivation to become caring and competent pharmacists. In the selection of applicants, we give preference to well-qualified residents of British Columbia who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada. The admissions committee may also give preference to well-qualified applicants from underrepresented areas in the province. Please note that international applicants cannot be accommodated in the Entry-to-Practice PharmD program."
Original post by jneill
https://pharmsci.ubc.ca/programs/entry-practice-pharmd-degree/admissions-and-finances/how-apply

"SELECTION PROCESS
UBC will extend offers of admission to approximately 224 well-qualified students who demonstrate the academic potential and motivation to become caring and competent pharmacists. In the selection of applicants, we give preference to well-qualified residents of British Columbia who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada. The admissions committee may also give preference to well-qualified applicants from underrepresented areas in the province. Please note that international applicants cannot be accommodated in the Entry-to-Practice PharmD program."

Ouch!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending