Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Funding for Graduate Medical Degree.

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter


    I have just graduated from a three year degree at Queens University Belfast and I now have been accepted to study Medicine at Queens also. I'm a Northern Irish Student coming from a family with low income (<£19,000 bracket). I've just been informed by the bank that I can't receive a loan off them due to me not making enough money to pay them back as of yet.
    Student Finance are willing to give me a Maintenance Loan for 1st and 2nd year, and depending if i'm successful on getting into 3rd year, they could fund that also but that wouldn't fund Living and fully pay the Tuition fees. I've emailed the University about any other funding options, but I thought this would be a great place to get additional advice as I'm sure other students are in the same position. I've been informed of the current Hardship funds the University can offer but that still couldn't cut the cost of living in Belfast.
    I'd really appreciate any advice that anyone could offer.

    Many thanks!

    Hi Qubstudent94

    The information we have is:

    Undergraduate entry- For the first four years of your course, you will receive the standard student support package. In your fifth year of study and beyond, you may be eligible to receive a means-tested healthcare bursary from the Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety (DHSSPS) and have your tuition fees paid in full by the DHSSPS. You may also be eligible to apply for a reduced rate non-income assessed maintenance loan. You may also get extra allowances, for example, if you are disabled or have dependants.

    Graduate entry- Any students that are attending a graduate entry medical course (fast-track course) will not be eligible for an NHS Bursary, Tuition Fee support or a Higher Education Bursary. The student may still apply to Student Finance Northern Ireland for support for living costs through student loans and certain supplementary grants for the duration of their course.Hopefully some students may give you their experiences.Thanks
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 9, 2016
Would you rather find
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.