Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

I want to study dentistry or pharmacy in Canada

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad course - waste of time? 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    I'm 16 from the uk and soon expecting my GCSE results, I'm planning to do my A levels in England.
    After my A levels I would like to move to Canada to persue a Pharmacy or Dentistry Degree.
    My question is, Does UBC(University Of British Columbia) accept international students for Dentistry or Pharmacy? If so can you please leave links. Thank you.

    It appears that they do accept international students, check out their website here: http://students.ubc.ca/internationalI'd also suggest talking to your tutor when you start studying for your A levels, as they're there to help you through the application process.

    University of British Columbia is not a UK university and so you wouldn't be eligible for funding from Student Finance England. So I don't know how you would fund it otherwise but the costs I believe are considerably more for higher education in the states.

    Checking the UBC website it states 'entry is restricted to canadian citizens and permanent residents, and preference given to residents of British Columbia'

    I think Dentistry is a highly regulated industry and must be taught in the country in which you wish to practise for the majority of your career.

    If you are a UK citizen then I applaud you for wanting to study abroad as more UK students need to do so as the statistics are like some 30,000 chinese students come to the UK to study yet only 500 go over to China. The University of Nottingham has two campuses in Asia, one in Ningbo, China and another in Malaysia in the city of Kuala Lumpur, which offers an MPharm in Pharmacy. The MPharm would put you in a great place to continue you onto Ph.D., and you could make the MPharm a 5 year programme by coming back to the UK for an industrial placement year or seek a placement in Canada.

    To further promote tourism in Kuala Lumpur, they offer amazing culture..

    Another UK university with an overseas campus is Heriot-Watt University in Dubai offering these undergraduate courses.

    Disregard the posters above, at least at UBC, you must be a Canadian citizen or PR for both the PharmD and DMD programs. DMD and PharmD both require you to do at least part of your undergraduate degree. You can go to UBC for undergrad but you wouldn't be able to apply to their PharmD or DMD programs without being a PR there first.

    UofT though I just checked does take a select few internationals for their DDS program, its a bit risky, I would just stick to the UK. Tuition in Canada for international students for both undergrad and grad school is very high and without a clear job plan afterwards its a bit of an unnecessary risk considering you have access to perfectly fine dental schools in the UK.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.