The Student Room Group

Feeling really depressed- need help and advice please

I've just found out my uni 'friends' have met up in the summer holidays without me and haven't even told me about it. This has just made me realise what my parents told me all along that friends come and go and no one truly cares about you like your parents.
But now I can't stop crying because I know my parents won't be here forever and I don't know what ill do when they're gone. I feel like I'll be completely lonely and helpless when they're gone.
This has happened several times in the past where I can't stop crying because I start feeling sorry for my parents for no reason and I don't want to think about losing them. I would rather al the diseases and illness of the world came to me rather than them
You need to harden yourself to the realities of life. Treat uni as a stage in your life and like anything in it people come and go. It's good to get on well with them and stuff but I reckon for most people their home friends will feature in their lives more than uni mates. A lot of it is convenience and keeping up the whole charade, I am sure when you left school it was the same thing telling others you would stay in touch etc etc
Reply 2
Original post by neal95
You need to harden yourself to the realities of life. Treat uni as a stage in your life and like anything in it people come and go. It's good to get on well with them and stuff but I reckon for most people their home friends will feature in their lives more than uni mates. A lot of it is convenience and keeping up the whole charade, I am sure when you left school it was the same thing telling others you would stay in touch etc etc

My uni friends met up with each other though, not just their home friends
Original post by Anonymous
I've just found out my uni 'friends' have met up in the summer holidays without me and haven't even told me about it. This has just made me realise what my parents told me all along that friends come and go and no one truly cares about you like your parents.
But now I can't stop crying because I know my parents won't be here forever and I don't know what ill do when they're gone. I feel like I'll be completely lonely and helpless when they're gone.
This has happened several times in the past where I can't stop crying because I start feeling sorry for my parents for no reason and I don't want to think about losing them. I would rather al the diseases and illness of the world came to me rather than them

At the end of the day you must realise that the only constant person in your life is you. And rather than have that depress you or make you feel alone make it a teaching point to recognise that you've got to learn to not rely on other for your own happiness and do things that will better you as a person and focus on your internal environment. I.e. finding new hobbies and getting out of your comfort one to grow as a person and along the journey of self discovery and self love you will find people who will come into your life and stay.Your parents are not the only ones in the world who will love you. But you have to let other people love you. And that starts by loving yourself. Also appreciate the fact that your parents would probably rather you flourish as a young, bright independent uni student rather than cower in fear of the worst imagined scenarios. I know depression and fear is hard to bear but you need to Embrace life for them and mostly for yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending