Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Medicine - Advanced Higher Results

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 12-10-2016

I applied to medicine this year and was unsuccessful.

I just received my SQA results as follows:
    Advanced Higher Chemistry - B
    Advanced Higher Biology - B
    Advanced Higher French - B
    Higher Economics - A

What would be the best next step?
    What universities accept 3 Bs at Advanced Higher for medicine, and would it be best to reapply to them next year? Or should I do another course through clearing with the hope of getting into medicine later?

Did you get any feedback? You really have to do your own research wrt entry requirements and make sure you have the right amount of work experience. If you meet all the criteria it is worth having another shot before you give up for now.

The offer I got from St Andrews was 3Bs at Advanced Higher- and I believe my friends that applied to Edinburgh and Dundee, and got offers also had the conditions of 3Bs at AH. Whilst this is a late reply, the best advice I can give is to reapply this year. Between now and your next batch of interviews get as much work experience as you can get, volunteer where you can, do lots of interview practice, try to attend public lectures, read medical articles, and if you can get a part time job. If you reapply you are going to have so much free time, and you will have to show the medical schools that you have been productive with it, and treated it as an opportunity as opposed to a sentence. Your personal statement will need an overhaul and it should focus on the areas in which you show the qualities and traits of a potential doctor. If you give up now you may regret not giving it another shot, because you do have the grades.

Also, well done! Those are fantastic results!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.