The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Aberystwyth University Freshers Megathread 2016

Results day is just around the corner but this is the place to be on the day and onwards!

A congratulations to those that are going to the university and you can use this thread to say hello to fellow students and discuss how excited you are to begin your fantastic journey!

This thread is yours, take it away
Reply 1
Why does the official 'freshers survival guide' say I need fancy dress and face paints? I've tried to find events at Aber that would involve such things but I haven't had much luck. I love dressing up but it's difficult without context to find an appropriate costume!!
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 2
Original post by WilkySilk
Why does the official 'freshers survival guide' say I need fancy dress and face paints? I've tried to find events at Aber that would involve such things but I haven't had much luck. I love dressing up but it's difficult without context to find an appropriate costume!!

Last year we had an "American pie" frat party and we all dressed up for that. This year (and last year) there's the UV foam party and you will be wearing UV face paint for that! The foam party is not to be missed!!
Also there's a costume shop in town that's open all year round so don't worry too much if you're not sure what to bring for dress up!
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey

It doesn't look like this forum is as popular with Aberystwyth as it is with other unis but I might as well introduce myself just in case anyone does read these :wink:

I'm 19 and am coming to Aber in September to do the Computer Science course with the Foundation Year. I probably have more of a unique background than other students may do; I don't actually have A Levels and did a tech support apprenticeship after I left secondary school. I passed that and carried on at the company but they made me redundant in January this year. After a couple months of unsuccessfully looking for other work, I took some time to reflect upon whether I really want to be stuck in dead-end low-pay tech support or try and delve more into software. I decided on the latter and ended up here.

I visited Aberystywth in March and it seems like quite a nice place, definitely a welcome change from the central London sites I was working at. So yeah, should hopefully be a good experience!
Original post by Bonoahx
Hey

It doesn't look like this forum is as popular with Aberystwyth as it is with other unis but I might as well introduce myself just in case anyone does read these :wink:

I'm 19 and am coming to Aber in September to do the Computer Science course with the Foundation Year. I probably have more of a unique background than other students may do; I don't actually have A Levels and did a tech support apprenticeship after I left secondary school. I passed that and carried on at the company but they made me redundant in January this year. After a couple months of unsuccessfully looking for other work, I took some time to reflect upon whether I really want to be stuck in dead-end low-pay tech support or try and delve more into software. I decided on the latter and ended up here.

I visited Aberystywth in March and it seems like quite a nice place, definitely a welcome change from the central London sites I was working at. So yeah, should hopefully be a good experience!

Hey, my name is Khloe and I am 18 from the Isle of Wight!

I too probably have a unique background compared to most. I was born in Kingston upon Thames and raised on my little old island. When I was 9, my mum and dad upped my little brother and I to Canada for what was supposed to be a two year work permit on my dads part. 6 years later we were still there and had to come home due to a death in the family. After a really hard time during GCSE's due to my lack of experience in British exam style and lack of coursework.. (I started in January of year 11 if that helps give an idea of how LITTLE preparation I had) I actually managed to pull through and later started my A levels. Now I'm here ready to study Psychology! If you had asked me where I would be now 3 years ago my answer certainly would not have been this. But being here now ready to move to Wales in 3 weeks I couldn't be happier.

Aberystwyth looks to be a beautiful town with some great open people, and I'm very excited to be spending the next three years there. If you'd like to get to know someone on a completely different course, who's just willing to meet some new people, pm me 😊

Quick Reply

Latest