The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fujitaro
Its jealousy. But of course not from people at unis ranked higher than Warwick (ie. Oxbrige, LSE, Imperial, UCL), but from all the unis ranked lower (i.e. every other uni)

Warwick is barely more than 50 years old, and people see Warwick grads being like of the top 5/6 unis employers in the highest paying fields recruit from (IB, Law, Consulting) and they get mad jealous as f**k, so they have to hate on it to feel better about being at their sh*tty uni that gets relatively little or no attention from the top firms.

Lowkey this is how I feel

Posted from TSR Mobile
The real reason is because it's in Coventry. Who wants to attend uni in Coventry when there's other prestigious unis that aren't in **** holes?
Original post by Athematica
An american applying to study maths in the UK. There's a distinction there that is important.

Another distinction is that everyone at my school, and yes, I went to a typical "rich girl" high school know of Warwick alongside the other top 10. They don't go any further. The WBS is really attractive in the US, alongside Maths, Economics, English, Law (for those who want to practice in the UK), the natural sciences incl. computer science. So not just Maths. Don't know where you got that from, and on top, it has gotten quite popular over the US top universities that Warwick- the Uni that they engage in exchanges with, is opening another campus in Cali.

Just also have to say, it has a major international student attraction in not just the US, but in Asia too as well as Australia. (Find the other post by Ashley something who is an aussie applicant).

Just chill out and don't hate. Be cool.

Kudos to you, another TSR Warwick hater. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fujitaro
Its jealousy. But of course not from people at unis ranked higher than Warwick (ie. Oxbrige, LSE, Imperial, UCL), but from all the unis ranked lower (i.e. every other uni)

Warwick is barely more than 50 years old, and people see Warwick grads being like of the top 5/6 unis employers in the highest paying fields recruit from (IB, Law, Consulting) and they get mad jealous as f**k, so they have to hate on it to feel better about being at their sh*tty uni that gets relatively little or no attention from the top firms.

Have to agree with this.
Only Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial > Warwick. LSE by a little stretch when Warwick is beating them in their own field. They're only a tiny bit behind LSE this year in the QS (when last year they beat LSE) and they are above LSE in the Shanghai rankings.
It is okay OP, since it was founded, it had always been a top 10 university. Reputation around the world and in the job industry is high flying, so don't worry what people have to say. There was another funny post on the Tab about how Warwick is a threat to the fellow top 10 universities as it is dominating the UK rankings and sharing the top parts in the world rankings too. Some people hate it so much, so just leave it! That jealousy post above is the real deal. XD

LEAVE IT, YEAH!
Reply 47
Original post by katherine9609
Many people here are the A-A* students who go to the top unis so their view on Warwick is not surprising.

Don't even bother reading people's opinions on any uni on here. The ones which are not top 10 are ripped to shreds

Warwick is a top uni, heck their A-Level offer for maths is higher than Cambridge's one for maths.
Reply 48
Original post by Zacken
Warwick is a top uni, heck their A-Level offer for maths is higher than Cambridge's one for maths.

Although Cambridge's entry requirements are a step up. :redface:
Original post by AmyAlbertsLamb
Another distinction is that everyone at my school, and yes, I went to a typical "rich girl" high school know of Warwick alongside the other top 10. They don't go any further. The WBS is really attractive in the US, alongside Maths, Economics, English, Law (for those who want to practice in the UK), the natural sciences incl. computer science. So not just Maths. Don't know where you got that from, and on top, it has gotten quite popular over the US top universities that Warwick- the Uni that they engage in exchanges with, is opening another campus in Cali.

Just also have to say, it has a major international student attraction in not just the US, but in Asia too as well as Australia. (Find the other post by Ashley something who is an aussie applicant).

So just because your 'rich girl' high school attendees think highly of Warwick that makes it a prestigious university? Seriously? time to come out of the rich girl high school bubble. *pop*
Original post by Princepieman
They're American

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you suggesting that America = entire world?
Original post by Scruffyjoe
Are you suggesting that America = entire world?

It's not just America, but america is a good example of a somewhat inward focused country which still has academics and prospective students acknowledge Warwick's status.

If we look at the composition of Warwick students, international students make up a significant contingent and span from South Asia, to East Asia to places in Europe to North America. Why would these people bother paying international tuition to go to Warwick if it was terrible?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
QS rankings in mathematics : Warwick is 4th in the UK and 32nd in the world.
Oxbridge,Imperial and then Warwick so I guess it's not that awful after all (at least in mathematical sciences).
I declined my imperial offer to insure warwick for 2 reasons: Imperial offer was more difficult to meet :colondollar: , Warwick was very friendly towards its offerholders unlike Imperial . I still dislike Imperial and prefer Warwick.
Warwick is also very new. Oxbridge might one day turn into Warbridge.
I don't know if/why TSRians hate it that much .
(edited 7 years ago)
It's not just America, but america is a good example of a somewhat inward focused country which still has academics and prospective students acknowledge Warwick's status.

If we look at the composition of Warwick students, international students make up a significant contingent and span from South Asia, to East Asia to places in Europe to North America. Why would these people bother paying international tuition to go to Warwick if it was terrible?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No one is suggesting that Warwick is terrible. I have said in my earlier posts that Warwick is a good university. But the question being asked was about its prestige and whether it can be counted as a prestigious universiy. I don't think Warwick is counted as a prestigious university.

Just because a few Americans think Warwick is prestigious doesn't mean the "whole world" does. The whole world has 7 continents and not just one (america)

Suggesting that American students are perhaps superior in some way to other students and their views about Warwick somehow pushes Warwick into the prestigious university league is an archaic way of thinking. This is the 21st century.
Reply 54

Posted from TSR Mobile

It does seem a strange notion, and one I've heard several times, that Warwick's international rep isn't that good. Met people from plenty of different nations, and I was certainly one of the more insular freshers...
Original post by AmyAlbertsLamb

Have you ever been to Warwick?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by Athematica
Of my friends that have gone to Warwick's more prestigious departments, I wonder what they have in their life beyond their school and career ambitions. Thats probably why I'm a little against Warwick and see it as something 'less' - because the people that I know who attend do so understanding they're moving to a concrete shell and will have such an existence solely to have decent career prospects, or they are so one-dimensional they chose it to pursue their subject over better-rounded universities that would be perfectly fine also without diminishing their experience so vastly as would happen just outside Coventry.

It's not that Warwick has no capacity to live beyond what is essentially a monastic 3-4 years towards your profession but in going there I think one signals clear priorities that I do indeed get "Snooty" about because I find it shallow and sad.

O_o
Reply 57
I love the hate :smile:. I like to think that some people perform better when they're not resting on their laurels, when they're being doubted and undermined at every turn. Who knows, maybe Warwick students will work harder, and solidify our ascension through the rankings. :wink:
i view warwick as an equal of ICL, LSE and UCL tbh
I don't hate Warwick. I'd just find it hard to be intellectually creative in that architectural environment. But that's just me.

Latest

Trending

Trending