Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post


Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    I have completed an undergraduate course which has nothing to do with psychology but would like to chase a career in psychotherapy. Is this possible? Any idea what I would have to do to be able to get the qualifications. Also do people know if Open University diplomas and courses are regarded in the Psychology field?

    what qualifications do you want?

    you can train specifically as something like a IAPT worker, do a clinical psychology doctorate, counselling masters etc

    find a level of course which works for you and look at what they require, you can usually do a conversion rather than a whole new degree

    to do anything within a psychology field you have to have a decent amount of relevant work experience so think about that too

    Save yourself £20k of debt and find a professional diploma or equivalent in psychotherapy. You don't need a degree to be a therapist. I'm a qualified therapist and my highest education level is professional diploma.

    You do your work experience as you learn because you can't volunteer as a counsellor until you are on a relevant course.

    To become a psychotherapist you do not need any qualifications

    To work ethically you do. It's also a gamble to take which could see you having your right to practice revoked even once properly qualified when full regulation is in place.

    You can do very serious damage to someone without proper training.

    There are a range of careers available in the Psychology/therapy world which makes it quite hard to answer the question definitively. Do you know more specifically the type of job you would like? I'm not 100% on all the variations of therapist/counsellor jobs out there, but as I understand it there are a lot of options and not every course will qualify you for every job.

    Becoming a chartered/registered Psychologist involves a Psychology degree (in your case, a conversion masters), some work experience and then a doctorate (i.e. DClinPsy) - some, like Forensic, require a specific masters also.

    IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies) train and hire Psychology Wellbeing Practitioners (PWP) who are CBT therapists that deliver structured interventions for a range of anxiety and mood difficulties. You can progress from there to be a high intensity therapist with full CBT accreditation

    You can become a CBT therapist in its own right (and possibly some other therapies). From here you can work in a private capacity, or there are some jobs out there that look for CBT trained therapists specifically. You can also do 'lower level' jobs and use these qualifications to give you a significant edge in applying and progressing.

    Then there are a range of therapist jobs, I'm not even sure what is out there career wise. ~Tara~ may be able to fill you in on this better. My guess is this ranges from specific modalities of therapy/counselling (i.e. marriage) to school counselling services or general intervention work, such as with a Youth Offending Service or family service.

    Once you know where your interests lie, you can then pick the appropriate education/training pathway.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.