Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Want to get back to studying!

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I'm in my 20s married with a child. I would love to start studying something - distance learning.
    I have many areas of interest, but ultimately I would want to study something that would be the biggest money maker and something that I could start out on my own setting up my own business.
    I have done GCSE's and other btec courses (graphic media and interior design)
    Would love to hear some ideas of where I should start with studying again.
    and what would be the best courses to take or the best way to get a degree with distance learning.

Take a look at Open Uni. Or you can teach yourself. You said you studied G.Design. Why not buy a Mac Laptop/Desktop and start designing random things? Do freelancing work, submit your work to companies, get yourself known. Get people to come to your for Logo making or maybe other Design projects? Idk. You could also consider Uni (night classes if they do it). I hope I helped.

Most people who make a lot of money or start a business do not need a degree, degrees if anything are a drag on making a lot of money not a help.

(Original post by JamesManc)
    Most people who make a lot of money or start a business do not need a degree, degrees if anything are a drag on making a lot of money not a help.
    But du not need somehwere to start? What business to start. Background knowledge. Etc.

I might not be much help, but if you'd like to set up your own business, I would suggest looking into a course in either marketing or business. I'm currently studying marketing and my course has so far covered modules in everything from consumer law to finance and accounts to promotion and I'd say this has helped me a ton.

However, judging from your BTEC courses (graphic media, interior design) you sound like you have a creative flair. Would you rather do something related to that? If so, you might struggle finding a good distance learning course but it's nothing that a good local community college shouldn't have courses in.

Have you also thought about combining the two and doing something creative and business orientated like advertising?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.