The Student Room Group

Compelling Personal Reasons, Tuition Fee

Hi there,

In 2013, I started a course at college and applied for a maintenance loan and a tuition fee loan. I received an answer from Student Finance only after I had already attended lectures for a term. They had only approved the tuition fee loan as I hadn't been living for at least 3 years in the UK. At the time I didn't have a National Insurance Number so it was difficult for me to find a part time job which would allow me to pay for rent and other expenses besides attending lectures for 22 hours per week. For this reason I decided to stop studying. SLC paid only £1500 for the first term out of the £6000 tuition fee.

In 2015, I started a course at university which included a foundation year. (1+3 years) SFE accepted my loan for the foundation year but now when I applied for the tuition fee for the first year I was told that I am not eligible because of the year of study I took in 2013.

I have tried to apply for Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) but my application was denied and this is what they've said: 'In order to award CPR we require further supporting evidence from a relevant professional person such as a doctor, counsellor, tutor or similar detailing the effect this had on your course and the circumstances leading to your withdrawal/repetition.'

The staff from the college that I studied at in 2013 weren't very helpful and they only gave me a letter that says I stopped studying because of financial difficulties.

Should I go to the college and try to get a more detailed letter? Is there anything else I could try? Shouldn't SFE have warned me about this before I had started the foundation year?

I am in a really awkward position as I have no idea how to come up with the £9000 tuition fee myself and I don't want to stop studying again. I am looking forward to your replies and I appreciate every opinion. Thank you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi.

In order for us to reconsider your application for compelling personal reasons, we would require a further letter from the University advising that the financial difficulties that you were experiencing at the time had an impact on your studies.

We apologise if you were not advised that you would not be entitled to a tuition fee loan due to previous study.

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending