The Student Room Group

How do i get a job at 18 with no previosu work history?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blackstarr
Really? how about signing up with a job agency? will that fast track me or the process will still be the same?

Pretty much the same. If you had specific skills, secretarial etc then you can get jobs quicker for interims, but basically, it takes weeks to get a job, maybe even months, unless you are very lucky.
Original post by elliottls97
Templine, I have a job 16 hours over the weekend but they said I could easily get many more hours if I wanted. I was very suprised about how easy it was, maybe i was just lucky.

Cool.
Original post by threeportdrift
Pretty much the same. If you had specific skills, secretarial etc then you can get jobs quicker for interims, but basically, it takes weeks to get a job, maybe even months, unless you are very lucky.

Even if its something simple like retail?
Even if its something simple like retail?

Absolutely! Just because the job is simple, doesn't mean the shop owner isn't putting a great deal of business risk in who they hire, so they go about it in a planned, organised way, selecting the best person for the job. Think about what getting a job means to the employer!

You started this thread saying you have no work history, how do you not understand that you aren't an appealing product and will have to put some time, thought and effort into convincing someone to give you their money in return for your lack of skills!!
How do I get a job at 18?

I really need a job, It has gotten to the point where I can't rely on my parents anymore and need to take care of myself.:redface:

Life is hard when you are broke.:frown:

I have no previous work history apart from some work experience which is completely unrelated to retail.

So, how do I get a retail job.

Do I just hand out my CV to various places? what if its not good enough since I have no employment history and like I said my work experience is completely unrelated to retail/customer service.

Edit: I am a full time student, I will be going back for my second year of college this September, so, I am looking to work weekends or evening.

All A* at GCSE and all A at AS should do the trick.
Absolutely! Just because the job is simple, doesn't mean the shop owner isn't putting a great deal of business risk in who they hire, so they go about it in a planned, organised way, selecting the best person for the job. Think about what getting a job means to the employer!

You started this thread saying you have no work history, how do you not understand that you aren't an appealing product and will have to put some time, thought and effort into convincing someone to give you their money in return for your lack of skills!!

Yes, but skills can be trained especially in retail, can't they?
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
All A* at GCSE and all A at AS should do the trick.

I wish.

Its not all about grades, if it were so, everyone I know with A*s would have the jobs they want.

:redface:
Yes, but skills can be trained especially in retail, can't they?

Yes they can, but why would I spend the time and effort in training someone when I can hire someone who has already demonstrated they have the skill sin their application? I want the best I can get for my business, even if it is a simple, minimum wage job.

There is also the issue of soft skills, even if I'm prepared to teach someone about serving coffee or bagging groceries, or working a till, I still want to hire a person who has the right soft skills. No employer can perform personality transplants! I want someone who is going to be smiley and welcoming to customers, polite even to idiots, who works hard and turns up on time, who can be trusted to use their initiative, who works well with the rest of the team etc. So again, I have a whole set of selection criteria even if I am prepared to teach specific skills.
I wish.

Its not all about grades, if it were so, everyone I know with A*s would have the jobs they want.

:redface:

It was a generalisation, haha. How many people do you know with a flawless academic record?
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
It was a generalisation, haha. How many people do you know with a flawless academic record?

Ohh right.

A couple, but that does not matter especially if you are looking for a simple retail job.:redface:
Yes they can, but why would I spend the time and effort in training someone when I can hire someone who has already demonstrated they have the skill sin their application? I want the best I can get for my business, even if it is a simple, minimum wage job.

There is also the issue of soft skills, even if I'm prepared to teach someone about serving coffee or bagging groceries, or working a till, I still want to hire a person who has the right soft skills. No employer can perform personality transplants! I want someone who is going to be smiley and welcoming to customers, polite even to idiots, who works hard and turns up on time, who can be trusted to use their initiative, who works well with the rest of the team etc. So again, I have a whole set of selection criteria even if I am prepared to teach specific skills.

I see.
I did picking for Holland and Barrett. I have to wear a headset and it tells me where to go and what items to pick up. I work Saturday and Sunday for 8 hours each day. It's even easier to get work if you will work 5 days
Original post by elliottls97
I did picking for Holland and Barrett. I have to wear a headset and it tells me where to go and what items to pick up. I work Saturday and Sunday for 8 hours each day. It's even easier to get work if you will work 5 days

How did you get that job?

I went to my local charity shop and she gave me a form to fill in and then said the manager will interview me.

Is it common to be interviewed in charity shops? anyone willing can volunteer?

I am just wondering what the interview will be like and is volunteering generally unpaid.
I went to a job centre asking for a job 2 days a week, they said can you do weekends, I said yes. Filled out some forms and started that week I'm doing it till I go to uni in September. It pays £8 an hour which is more than any of my friends get.
I went to my local charity shop and she gave me a form to fill in and then said the manager will interview me.

Is it common to be interviewed in charity shops? anyone willing can volunteer?

I am just wondering what the interview will be like and is volunteering generally unpaid.

Volunteering is, by definition, unpaid. The interview will be more or less the same as it would be for any retail job, the risks for the charity of putting a buffoon on the shop floor are just the same!
Volunteering is, by definition, unpaid. The interview will be more or less the same as it would be for any retail job, the risks for the charity of putting a buffoon on the shop floor are just the same!

Why is that? surely they will tell you what to do and train you before hand?

Also, wouldn't employers be more at risk when paying a Buffon as opposed to hiring someone for voluntary work.
Why is that? surely they will tell you what to do and train you before hand?

Also, wouldn't employers be more at risk when paying a Buffon as opposed to hiring someone for voluntary work.

Why does paying a person or not, make any difference to the damage they can cause by being rude to customers, screwing up the till, breaking, damaging or losing stock etc? A volunteer in a charity shop is doing exactly the same as a paid employee in a high street store and can cause just as much damage if they don't have the hard (technical) skills or the soft (personality) skills.

Everyone will get some training, but training takes time, which costs money. It takes at least one other person away from their work, and that makes two people inefficient, for as long as it takes to get the new person up to speed. You have to give them more time, more advice, keep an eye on them etc. It's a function that the business would rather minimise because it is a drain on resources, whether you are paying the new person or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending