The Student Room Group

2016 dentistry applicants [part 2]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Agent R5
Did you have any offers for Dentistry for 2016 entry? and yeah I known someone who said they got 4 straight rejections because they applied to the same medical schools again with the same p.s. but a few others have said they kept the exact same p.s. on re-applying and there was no issue

Yeah got offers from Barts and Cardiff, missed out by 4 marks...gonna get a remark but doubt it will make a difference
Reply 21
Original post by Agent R5
Sheffield are very strict on having A in english Language I think

Oh right thanks for letting me know, because on their website they say they like to take a holistic approach 🙄
Do you know about Birmingham because their website only state an A in English and I'm not sure if it would found literature?
Reply 22
Original post by Ariana.c
Oh right thanks for letting me know, because on their website they say they like to take a holistic approach 🙄
Do you know about Birmingham because their website only state an A in English and I'm not sure if it would found literature?

I would seriously recommend either calling them up, emailing them or talking to them at an open day. Birmingham is a really competitive university though so I think that they might be strict on that
Reply 23
Original post by elm4541
I would seriously recommend either calling them up, emailing them or talking to them at an open day. Birmingham is a really competitive university though so I think that they might be strict on that

I will do, thank you for the help!
Original post by HumzaAsad97
I'm gonna call up UCAS, cos someone told me that they plagiarise you against your own personal statement. So I wanna see what that's all about

Okay get back to me as soon as you can! Cos this seems very serious...
Okay so you know how you hear about those dentistry miracle stories and you don't ever believe it- well last year I failed my a levels and got ACC and then resat and got AAB which was devastating because it meant I didn't get into my firmed dental school. I phoned up all dental schools and got an interview for the day after results day and 2 hrs after my interview I was offered a place... It's literally possible guys. So good luck everyone with future applications!
I got my AS results which were ABBB and an A* in EPQ so kinda disappointing because I was aiming for all As. Do you think my AS grades will affect my dentistry application or will it be fine as long as I get AAA predictions for A - Levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by skittles17
I got my AS results which were ABBB and an A* in EPQ so kinda disappointing because I was aiming for all As. Do you think my AS grades will affect my dentistry application or will it be fine as long as I get AAA predictions for A - Levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think it will effect your application at all
Original post by skittles17

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just as along as you get 3A predictions for A2, you will be fine. You have also got an A* in your EPQ, which some uni's may like!
Original post by Ariana.c

I would say the best thing would be to call up Birmingham or email them
Reply 30
Original post by Eudneideodjo
Okay so you know how you hear about those dentistry miracle stories and you don't ever believe it- well last year I failed my a levels and got ACC and then resat and got AAB which was devastating because it meant I didn't get into my firmed dental school. I phoned up all dental schools and got an interview for the day after results day and 2 hrs after my interview I was offered a place... It's literally possible guys. So good luck everyone with future applications!

hi what uni was that?
Original post by ranz
hi what uni was that?

. ..
(edited 7 years ago)

Hi I was wondering if you could tell me where you applied on your re-application?
Also what were your GCSE's and UKCAT score if you don't mind me asking and who did u firm? :smile:

p.s. COngratz on getting a place for Dentistry!
Hey guys, just wondering if my GCSE grades are good enough for dentistry. I achieved 3A*, 5A, 2B and will be taking Chemistry, Biology, Business and Maths (most likely will drop this). I currently have 8 weeks of dentistry experience at various practices and labs and will be aiming for about 16+ weeks as my friends dad runs a VERY successful dental practice and so has given me a lot of contacts. I also got 100% at GCSE in biology and 94% in Chemistry. I also have silver DofE and will be aiming for gold to set myself apart from others that may have better GCSE grades. Would this be okay? I also have worked for 1.5 years at a cancer research UK charity shop.
Edit: One of my B's was in English Lang so I now that rules me out of Birmingham, Bristol and Sheffield. For my a levels I'm really going to knuckle down as I was predicted 4A* 6A's but I think I went to one to many parties but I'm really passionate about science so I should hopefully get 3A's at a level. I was thinking about going to Cardiff as I really like the difference in culture. Does anyone have any experience w/ Cardiff?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IGCSETANK
Hey guys, just wondering if my GCSE grades are good enough for dentistry. I achieved 3A*, 5A, 2B and will be taking Chemistry, Biology, Business and Maths (most likely will drop this). I currently have 8 weeks of dentistry experience at various practices and labs and will be aiming for about 16+ weeks as my friends dad runs a VERY successful dental practice and so has given me a lot of contacts. I also got 100% at GCSE in biology and 94% in Chemistry. I also have silver DofE and will be aiming for gold to set myself apart from others that may have better GCSE grades. Would this be okay? I also have worked for 1.5 years at a cancer research UK charity shop.

Your grades are absolutely fine, do you mind me asking what you got your 2B's in. You have already got a massive advantage by having that contact, as you will be able to get a lot of W/E. Just focus on your A-levels now!
Original post by dentist175
Your grades are absolutely fine, do you mind me asking what you got your 2B's in. You have already got a massive advantage by having that contact, as you will be able to get a lot of W/E. Just focus on your A-levels now!

I've edited my original response above. And thank you very much :smile: my other b was in history. My dentist also said I should be fine for my interviews as I like to talk alot😂 ( if you can't already tell^)
ANOTHER EDIT: I didn't get my B in Lang I got it in lit so crisis over :,)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IGCSETANK
I've edited my original response above. And thank you very much :smile: my other b was in history. My dentist also said I should be fine for my interviews as I like to talk alot😂 ( if you can't already tell^)
ANOTHER EDIT: I didn't get my B in Lang I got it in lit so crisis over :,)

:smile: You will be fine then!! Because you didn't get that B in Eng lang your not restricted on what uni's you can apply to. I applied to Dentistry last year to Kings, QM, Plymouth and Manchester. I don't really know much about Cardiff, but if you have any questions on the uni's that I applied to, then please do ask.

Good luck with your application!
Ah thank god :smile: and thank you :smile: now that you mention it I would like to ask about Kings. Is it a university you would recommend and for what reason? Thanks in advance!
Original post by elm4541
I had AS grades of ABCC and I still got an interview, a offer, and now a place at Liverpool university (they don't seem to look at your AS grades). My UKCAT wasn't particularly high either but I had a strong personal statement (and my A2 grades were AAA)

So I'd recommend giving Liverpool a call :smile:

I'm sort of in this position but I'm hoping my school can predict me higher... Where else did you apply?

wow that is amazing, which dental school did you get into?

Im going to apply for Liverpool or Manchester but will have to get in through an access course as I dont have A-levels and just GCSEs.

Quick Reply

Latest