Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Waterstones Job Application - how long should I wait before I follow up?

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

I applied - in-store - to Waterstones on August 2nd. I could only speak quite briefly with the manager who received my application; he seemed kind, quite funny and I felt that even though I was clearly a little nervous (since I really, REALLY want this job, I'm a book lover) we seemed to click in a way that seemed good to me. It helps that I saw he was impressed with a lot of my answers, too, lmao - and I know that my CV and cover letter were both pretty brilliant, so...

Fast forward to today, 11th August - note, the manager I spoke to hadn't had a chance to read my CV and covering letter beforehand, so the chat was all quite casual and a little rushed but he told me that a recruitment team would be in touch to follow up. I wasn't given an estimate of how long this would take, just told that they'd get in contact. But, since I'm used to following up with jobs - I'm just wondering if anyone here had some advice on a maximum time they'd leave before they called or if I should wait out the standard two weeks, etc. Thank you in advance!

Some companies say that if you haven't had a response within 28 days then you haven't got the job, but I'm not sure about the specifics of Waterstones. I'd say two weeks is a pretty good amount of time to wait before contacting them, it will show you're eager and enthusiastic. Just do what you feel comfortable with, but if you really do want the job (as it looks like you do) it's probably best to contact them and not just leave it.

If you know the recruitment team email, never hurts to send a nicely written email wondering if they read it. That way it would be fresh in their mind and you would have a higher chance of getting a reply.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 11, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.