The Student Room Group

Carphone warehouse interview

Hi there,

I have an interview tomorrow with Carphone Warehouse and the manager on the phone said there was 3 things that would be involved

1. A competency interview
2. Selling him my own phone, why I have it etc
3. He will observe me in the store conversing with other members of staff and customers in the store.

I am ok with 1 and 2 (I think) but 3 has me a bit mystified with what they are looking for.
It is a store within a store, so he said on the phone about how I would talk to customers in the other store, but I feel this will be a bit tricky, as my knowledge of phones isn't anywhere near an expert level, so asking a customer if I could help them, only to say "well, actually, I can't help you with that" seems a bit funny.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had to do anything similar for an interview, and what you are supposed to do exactly?
Obviously I would ask the manager when I get in what it involves exactly, but just wondering if anyone here has any experience of this.

Thanks
Original post by A_Babcock
Hi there,

I have an interview tomorrow with Carphone Warehouse and the manager on the phone said there was 3 things that would be involved

1. A competency interview
2. Selling him my own phone, why I have it etc
3. He will observe me in the store conversing with other members of staff and customers in the store.

I am ok with 1 and 2 (I think) but 3 has me a bit mystified with what they are looking for.
It is a store within a store, so he said on the phone about how I would talk to customers in the other store, but I feel this will be a bit tricky, as my knowledge of phones isn't anywhere near an expert level, so asking a customer if I could help them, only to say "well, actually, I can't help you with that" seems a bit funny.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had to do anything similar for an interview, and what you are supposed to do exactly?
Obviously I would ask the manager when I get in what it involves exactly, but just wondering if anyone here has any experience of this.

Thanks

You won't actually be going as far as selling anything to customers. You'll be more likely asking them if they need any help, referring them to staff when you can't answer questions, that kind of thing. You should be able to do the basics of suggesting a few phones for their needs and showing them where the odd thing is etc. They'll see how you get on with the staff and how confident you are in talking to people. That's largely what it's about. The knowledge comes in more in the second part.
Reply 2
Original post by chelseadagg3r
You won't actually be going as far as selling anything to customers. You'll be more likely asking them if they need any help, referring them to staff when you can't answer questions, that kind of thing. You should be able to do the basics of suggesting a few phones for their needs and showing them where the odd thing is etc. They'll see how you get on with the staff and how confident you are in talking to people. That's largely what it's about. The knowledge comes in more in the second part.

Ah ok, that makes more sense. Thanks very much for your reply!
I know people still search for this so I’ll tell you what happened with me I applied for the job 2nd August, this involved having to do a little questionnaire (what would you do in this situation like questions) the next day I got a phone call for an interview PLEASE be aware this may be an unusual number, mine was from Sheffield, and I live no where near Sheffield so it was odd (they use internet based office phones, so you can’t call back if you miss the initial call like I did, but they will ring you the next day). So, for the interview I had to bring my LONG birth certificate (one with the father and mother’s details on it), my national insurance number document, and paperwork that proves my address (bank statement, bills, google this if you’re unsure) my interview consisted of 2 parts, questions and roleplay of selling your own phone and applying a contract. The first part were questions like “name a time when you had to persuade someone to do something that’s beneficial to you” “name a time where you had to work hard to achieve something” it’s best if you base these answers on previous employment, or education. I’m currently at sixth form and have also had a year working at subway so I found the questions easy. Don’t sweat them though! The second part I had to sell my phone. My interviewer gave me a sheet with three tariffs on them and I had to sell him the best contract that would fit his scenario (this time he wanted a phone for work use more than personal, so you’d ask questions like “how often would you use calls/texts” “when you’re using your work phone, would you have access to WiFi or need to look for high data” but you have to ensure you sell your phone too, but you know your phone’s pros and cons, so it shouldn’t be too hard). I got a phone call later that day to say I had got the job, if they can’t get hold of you after 2/3 times they are likely to email you. It’ll then take about a week before you hear from CW again about background checks and training schemes. Next is the training scheme in Birmingham where you’ll spend 3 nights there, and will have any transport costs and food Costs accommodated to. I haven’t been on mine yet so I’ll tell you all I know. The days are most likely to fall on a Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. But you’ll need to be there on Sunday evening (when I say there I mean in the hotel next to the training centre which they will sort out) I received an email and a text from CW saying I should expect a call from an unknown number, this is the head office confirming things for you, asking how you’ll get there, any dietary needs, sizes for uniform etc. They will also ask what date you can make (mine is sept 17) they’re more than willing to fit to your needs, I was first offered 10th sept, but couldn’t make this due to exams. You will then need to fill out a form from security watchdog, if you don’t you shall not be working for CW. It’ll ask you for all your details, at the end you have to attach the documents you took to your interview (birth certificate, national insurance number, proof of residency) and it needs to be completed ASAP. The agency also likes you to watch videos before you go on the training course, this explains everything you’ll need to know and what to expect, it won’t take longer than an hour. Once you’ve done this you’ll all be ready to go. Every step of the training course is covered for you, if you’re unsure about anything they make sure you know the number to call about any questions. After the training is completed, you will be allowed to work in the shop, and you’ll have an 11 week probation period, you may have to watch a few more videos, but it’s important to remember they’re training aids, not patronising and personally I believe they calm any nerves one may have. I hope this helps, and I wish everyone success for any job they may want to undertake (but especially this one!!!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending